Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with my Ruger?

aplthird

So this is my dilemma.  I have a Ruger GP 100 in 357 magnum.  It has a 6" barrel with adjustable sights.  The gun was coated in black oxide

so it is in perfect shape.  I am more of a semi auto fan..I was considering putting a scope on it too shoot iron targets at 50 yards.  I have read that

it is difficult to get used to a scope on a pistol.  I would be shooting from a rest if that matters.  My other option is too put a red dot on it.  The last

option is to trade it at a gun store towards another pistol.  But I am unsure of the value of it.  Any opinions would be helpful.  Thank you

Here is another option for mounting a red dot on your Ruger revolver.   EGW makes excellent products but these mounts are limited to specific red dot models so be sure you get the correct one.  https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-red-dot-mounts/mounts-by-firearm-brand-sight-cut/?brand=761&model=710

Edited by SteelCityShooter

On 12/27/2022 at 5:53 PM, aplthird said:

Thanks for all the help.  I have never had a scope on a pistol, red dots yes. 

for a scope I am thinking 2X pistol scope.  . 

For mounting a scope or tube-type red dot the Weigant Picatinny mount referenced above is very solid and easy to install.  I had one on a 6" GP-100 with a 2X Leupold pistol scope and it was excellent.  I agree on a 2X scope.  Higher magnification ones have a very limited field of view and are maddeningly difficult to hold steady enough for a comfortable sight picture unless on a solid rest.