Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther WMP 22 Mag

oddjob

really dont see the point of this gun at all. Uses more expensive, less available, louder ammo for no real gain. 
It cant use the newer higher velocity ammo, and when the 40 gr stuff is shot in a pistol barrel its verry little increase over what a 22LR can do. WMR must be loaded wit slow powder. I like the round in a rifle for longer targets and a varmint rifle. But doesnt make sense for me in a pistol.
That guns gonna throw 40 gr ammo at about 1100 FPS, based on some online chrono results of 4 and 5.5" 22 mags,
A 22LR with 32 gr stingers will clock 1230, and Win Super X 40 grs at 1036 FPS.

I have always loved 22Mag's, I bought the WMP and it blew up in my face in less than 6 rounds. Well adamantly I was shooting Winchester Super-X which they say "not recommended", I'd say that was an understatement. But then I've been using that ammo for 40 years and always liked it. In the WMP it blew out the back of the case and the slide design channeled all the gas and crud directly into my face. Thank god for safety glasses. Oddly enough the blowout was shaped just like the breach face which doesn't cover the entire rear of the cartridge. It worked fine with Hornady and Federal ammo but I'm still kind of scared to shoot it.

Blown1.thumb.jpg.52a4a4d8ffbae2df1e01c305dd585e68.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 10:27 PM, sharko said:

I have always loved 22Mag's, I bought the WMP and it blew up in my face in less than 6 rounds. Well adamantly I was shooting Winchester Super-X which they say "not recommended", I'd say that was an understatement. But then I've been using that ammo for 40 years and always liked it. In the WMP it blew out the back of the case and the slide design channeled all the gas and crud directly into my face. Thank god for safety glasses. Oddly enough the blowout was shaped just like the breach face which doesn't cover the entire rear of the cartridge. It worked fine with Hornady and Federal ammo but I'm still kind of scared to shoot it.

Blown1.thumb.jpg.52a4a4d8ffbae2df1e01c305dd585e68.jpg

You shot ammo they said not to shoot?  Why?