Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New safety for Phoenix Redback Gen 1

I’ve never liked the extended LH safety on my Phoenix Redback Gen 1.  It interfered with my grip.  I like keeping my left (weak) hand very high. 

PC120003

When parts finally became available from the Attic, I ordered a small LH safety. 

Unlike the CZ safety, in the Redback the safety plunger spring and safety plunger fit into the safety itself. They act as the detent. A new set comes with each safety.

PC120001

PC120002

Removing the safety is similar to the CZ. The sear spring must be pushed out of the groove in the spindle so the LH safety can be pulled out. The RH safety comes out as well, and the sear stays in place!  Not sure how it’s fixed in place, but it made placing the new safety much easier than on a CZ.  

PC130007

The right hand safety has a spindle that fits into the LH safety spindle.  When in place the grooves line up, so the sear spring will keep both LH and RH safeties in place.  Pretty clever. The fit of the RH safety into the  LH safety was very tight, so I oiled the spindles  and put them together and apart several times before installing, to make sure there wouldn’t be any interference.

Because I only use this particular gun on the range, and never use the safety, I ground the safety down and blued it.

PC130004

The new safety didn’t need any adjustment, but if it did, it would be exactly like the CZ.  

Took it out on the range and was very pleased with my improved grip.

PC130009

PC130008

Edited by bigdave24

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:20 PM, Blackstone45 said:

I believe the flat safeties are a factory offering now as well

image.thumb.png.71ddb14bc52987542a9684c6f8bb9a44.png

This was posted by one of the Team Phoenix shooters - it's the Drake production but I think they use the same safety as the Redback. He said that it was a factory option, and so legal for use in IPSC Production. 

Lovely Blasters, will pick them up in 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...