Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time loading new Lapua brass questions

mioduz

This will be the first time I have use new (Lapua small rifle primer) brass.  Loading 6.5 creedmoor.  I was previously using Hornady fired brass.

I conducted ladder test to find a stable node to load in the past with Hornady brass.  Does all that data get thrown in the garbage can and I start over??

Does the brass all need to be once fired and resized before any data collection and load development can begin.  I just measured the shoulder length of fired brass to Lapua and the Lapua is about .002 smaller which is what I typically aim to resize to. (If that helps)

If the internal volume of both batches of brass are fairly close and your chamber isn’t hugely oversized you should be ok. I would measure the volume of the two brands just for comparison. If there’s a large difference maybe make an adjustment in powder charge. Some of my most accurate loads have been with new un-fireformed brass. 

• 3 weeks later...

it really all depends on how crazy you're going to get with developing a load. for the first couple firings I just find a stable node and shoot them. once my barrel starts to settle in and "speed up" I'll do additional load development.  to answer your first question, I would personally toss out my previous data and go looking for a node again since you're switching brass.  oh, and depending on the outside temperature you're shooting in, you might look into whether you want to use magnum primers or not, since it's small pocket brass

Edited by bravofox
formatting