Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith Advice

para1445

There are a number of good books, but most already assume you can detail strip the thing blindfolded first. That's probably not such a bad thing as 1911's can be tricky if you don't know how they're supposed to be put together, but frustrating if you want to know "can I do this job myself?" or not.

Para1445,

A really basic book on detail stripping is Wilson's ( Bill ) maintenance manual.

I assume para follows standard 1911 fairly closely ( someone correct this if I'm wrong )

Again assuming 1911 stuff, Kuhnhausens books are interesting, though somewhat confusing in places. And most of the info may be somewhat dated. Still a good read if you want tech info.

Ask around the forum if you have something specific in mind , there are alot of real gunsmiths here ( unlike myself ).

Travis F.

I used the AGI hicap video to build my open gun. It runs great. I had a gunsmith do the machine work and fit the barrel. The video shows all steps and walks you thru it. It also points out alot of little things to tweak to get it to run right. It did take about 300 rounds to get it running. If you ask around it not uncommon to find open guns that took over a thousand rounds to get running right.

All that said I am leaning towards a triangle or bedell gun in Feb. for limited shooting.

Mike

Where is a good place to get info about stripping the whole thing down

The Wilson booklet on 1911's is the best buy out there, It has a picture for every step, only cost about $15. Go to the Wilson Combat site and they sell them.

For more advanced work, the Kuhnhausen manulas on the Colt 45 and the 1911 are the best. Brownells sells them.

Edited by bountyhunter