Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman pro dies

brian45acp

So I tried 2 sets and had no luck with them. First set from midway I couldn’t get taper die to work so I called Lyman. They said they revised the die body to be longer and so I bought direct from them. When they arrived the threads were galled badly but aside from that I had the same issue. On a 1050 with 1 inch thick toolhead I can’t thread the die any lower and had the lock ring hanging onto the mast thread if the die body. 

The micro meter head would screw all the way down and not touch the case and provide any crimp. I can’t figure out what the issue is but Lyman didn’t seem to be much help and returning to them was hell. Eventually I got most my money back but even after all that I really loved the dies but for the taper die. This has me hopeful I missed something and I would love to have them again. 

Are any of you guys running these dies?

here is a vid I did to show the issues. Never mind the measurement it’s exactly 1.00 inches. I had the calipers not level trying to do it with one hand. I took a second video to show the true measurement.

Right now I’m back to all Dillon dies except my spring loaded hold down dies from mighty armory. I am using the alpha dropper but hate the sticking so I’m going to use that in a Lee expander die body above priming in my CNC toolhead. This will keep the aloha dropper from being floating and I won’t get the suction pop upon release we all hate at the powder station.

The Lyman dies were so nice I miss them and don’t want to be dumb trying them again but figured you guys might be using them without issue. I will say I had expansion just right to where my rounds dropped in and out of the car gauge even before the crimp station so I really didn’t need crimp but I don’t want to accept a taper crimp die that has zero usability either.

I really don’t want to do that and I would also have to get rid of my nice lighting system. 

It is so stupid these damn die manufacturers make the bodies so short. 

I guess I will stay all Dillon. Those Lyman dies were nice so it kind of sucks giving up.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if Lyman dies are shorter in the threads due to their tool heads having a thinner profile than the Dillon RL1100/S1050s?  Checked my RL1100, and it's 1" thick just as your CNC tool head.

Viewing the Evo/Revo and Apex10 tool heads on the Mark 7 site, they do "look" to be a thinner profile/thickness though that's just a guess.  May ask one of the Mark 7 owners on the non-Dillon Reloading Equipment forum, to take a quick measurement of the tool head specifically where the dies mount.  Could shed some light on the subject.

My optional dies for the Dillons I've used over the years has always been the Redding Pro Competition series; and have never had an issue running out of threads!

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-dies/br?Brand=Redding&cid=702

Their latest series are as good as it gets IMO......

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/221-nxgen-carbide-die-sets

🤔  

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if Lyman dies are shorter in the threads due to their tool heads having a thinner profile than the Dillon RL1100/S1050s?  Checked my RL1100, and it's 1" thick just as your CNC tool head.

Viewing the Evo/Revo and Apex10 tool heads on the Mark 7 site, they do "look" to be a thinner profile/thickness though that's just a guess.  May ask one of the Mark 7 owners on the non-Dillon Reloading Equipment forum, to take a quick measurement of the tool head specifically where the dies mount.  Could shed some light on the subject.

My optional dies for the Dillons I've used over the years has always been the Redding Pro Competition series; and have never had an issue running out of threads!

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-dies/br?Brand=Redding&cid=702

Their latest series are as good as it gets IMO......

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/221-nxgen-carbide-die-sets

🤔  

I have those in my midway cart but wasn’t sure about them. 

I did email Lyman tech asking how thick the mark 7 toolhead is because that would answer the issues I had. 

it’s just stupid these companies skill on a few threads and create these issues. I don’t understand it.

so tell me about the Redding dies. I wanted to get the competition pro dies and their expander die. Expanding at my priming station worked great with the Lyman pro dies. Currently I’m using a spring loaded hold down die and that serves its purpose as well. But expanding there means no more floating powder funnel expander die that sticks. The alpha dropper solves most of this issue but not nearly as nice as a screw down expander die.

How is the Redding pro taper die?

these are the ones:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012575915?pid=610299

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019976654?pid=182487

Also which decap pins are the proper ones? I read on here the standard size get stuck in flash holes so they use the undersize ones. Is that true?

Edited by brian45acp

9 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

I have those in my midway cart but wasn’t sure about them. 

I did email Lyman tech asking how thick the mark 7 toolhead is because that would answer the issues I had. 

it’s just stupid these companies skill on a few threads and create these issues. I don’t understand it.

so tell me about the Redding dies. I wanted to get the competition pro dies and their expander die. Expanding at my priming station worked great with the Lyman pro dies. Currently I’m using a spring loaded hold down die and that serves its purpose as well. But expanding there means no more floating powder funnel expander die that sticks. The alpha dropper solves most of this issue but not nearly as nice as a screw down expander die.

How is the Redding pro taper die?

these are the ones:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012575915?pid=610299

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019976654?pid=182487

Also which decap pins are the proper ones? I read on here the standard size get stuck in flash holes so they use the undersize ones. Is that true?

@brian45acp

Both of your choices above are the exact setup I'm currently using!  And they have given me MANY YEARS of trouble free service only requiring a yearly cleaning.  And one thing to note that has been discussed and confirmed by Redding Engineering, is that the Redding Titanium Carbide sizing die (9mm) "undersizes" the brass approximately -0.002" which is very similar to the Lee Undersize Die (-0.003").  

These are the decapping pins you'll want to use also:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012974329?pid=763052

Good luck; and I feel confident you'll be very satisfied with your Redding Dies!

👍

4 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@brian45acp

Both of your choices above are the exact setup I'm currently using!  And they have given me MANY YEARS of trouble free service only requiring a yearly cleaning.  And one thing to note that has been discussed and confirmed by Redding Engineering, is that the Redding Titanium Carbide sizing die (9mm) "undersizes" the brass approximately -0.002" which is very similar to the Lee Undersize Die (-0.003").  

These are the decapping pins you'll want to use also:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012974329?pid=763052

Good luck; and I feel confident you'll be very satisfied with your Redding Dies!

👍

Thank you very much. I did read they undersize like the LEE. I have used the LEE for many years as well.

I am just looking for something a little better quality to match my setup. I love my CNC toolhead and want to take full advantage of it. The Dillon taper die and my alpha dropper stick a lot on brand new brass. I’m shooting left out match in 2 weeks and did a run of starline brass with CCI primers to assure I have good quality reloads. Being new that brass stuck a lot. The dillon taper die would pop at release for some reason. 

ok, so the undersize pins are the correct ones. There must be a reason so I’ll get those.

How is the taper die on the Dillon toolheads?

Edited by brian45acp

20 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

Thank you very much. I did read they undersize like the LEE. I have used the LEE for many years as well.

I am just looking for something a little better quality to match my setup. I love my CNC toolhead and want to take full advantage of it. The Dillon taper die and my alpha dropper stick a lot on brand new brass. I’m shooting left out match in 2 weeks and did a run of starline brass with CCI primers to assure I have good quality reloads. Being new that brass stuck a lot. The dillon taper die would pop at release for some reason. 

ok, so the undersize pins are the correct ones. There must be a reason so I’ll get those.

How is the taper die on the Dillon toolheads?

TBH, I have been using the Pro Comp Micrometer Taper Crimp die for years.  And after a long discussion with my friend in Redding Engineering, he talked me into trying the standard TC die that's included with the Kit above.

The Micrometer TC die is great if one's needing to constantly adjust for "big" oal differences in the brass your using.  Polishing the floating crimp insert definitely helps, but it requires a lot more cleaning/lubing to keep the sticking to a minimum.  The sticking is just an unfortunate by-product of the design of the die.  But it definitely works!

What's I have found with the standard TC die is if it's not over-adjusted, which produces too much crimp, then I feel no sticking whatsoever with the same headstamp brass I'm currently using!  Actually it's extremely smooth and I'm definitely glad I made the switch.  My crimp is set to yield ~.377" to .378".  And I experience ZERO bullet setback in any of my 9mm pistols!

IMO, this is one of the better posts for successfully setting up the TC die correctly:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78873.0

HTHs! 

PS:  the undersize pins are for dealing with the small primer holes that a lot of range brass has.  So, these will work with about any brass you may be processing.

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

Good info, thank you.

My current setup is actually working really well but for some reason I want to have higher end dies than Dillon. I also like the added insurance of being more undersized. The brass we are getting now is not like before the ammo shortage and some weird stuff is out there. My range sells roll sized polished for $45 per 1000 plus I get 10% off which can’t be beat. With the best dies I now have no concern even despite having questionable brass.

5 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

Good info, thank you.

My current setup is actually working really well but for some reason I want to have higher end dies than Dillon. I also like the added insurance of being more undersized. The brass we are getting now is not like before the ammo shortage and some weird stuff is out there. My range sells roll sized polished for $45 per 1000 plus I get 10% off which can’t be beat. With the best dies I now have no concern even despite having questionable brass.

Same here.  Using fully processed brass; and with the One-Shot lube, the press smoothly produces excellent quality ammo!

Yes, that is a good price!  I would definitely stock up on those!

:)

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Same here.  Using fully processed brass; and with the One-Shot lube, the press smoothly produces excellent quality ammo!

Yes, that is a good price!  I would definitely stock up on those!

Got my order in. Thanks again for the help. 

Any tricks for the seating die? Do the dies come with instructions? Watching vids now to get an idea.

Dumb question but are the lock rings from Redding just finger tight? There is no wrench I thought until I just saw a video of some sort of pressure wrench that squeezes onto the knurled lock ring a guy used. 

Edited by brian45acp

7 hours ago, brian45acp said:

Got my order in. Thanks again for the help. 

Any tricks for the seating die? Do the dies come with instructions? Watching vids now to get an idea.

Dumb question but are the lock rings from Redding just finger tight? There is no wrench I thought until I just saw a video of some sort of pressure wrench that squeezes onto the knurled lock ring a guy used. 

👍

They definitely come with instructions.  I would first disassemble the dies for a thorough cleaning, then lightly relube for protection. Become familiar with the dies during cleaning! 

Am attaching standard instructions "and" additional instructions for the Seater.  Notice the spring below the micrometer head?  Remove it and put it back in the storage box.  Easy to install and setup up dies if you simply follow instructions.............

I never use the Redding lock rings.  IMO, they're a bit bulky.  So I simply use the ones that come on the Dillon dies.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/dillon-precision-1-die-lock-rings-5-pack/

seaterquickstart.pdf Seat Die Instructions.pdf

10 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Been running the full Lyman pro micro adjustable die set since day one 2 years ago on my rl1100 in 9mm. Only thing that happened is I broke 2 of the decap pins. 

Did you have to use the die lock rings on the bottom of the toolhead?  Or did they work in the normal, on top position?

1 minute ago, HOGRIDER said:

Did you have to use the die lock rings on the bottom of the toolhead?  Or did they work in the normal, on top position?

They are on top like normal. But right at the very top of the threads. Never had any issues though. I'm not really convinced a micrometer is needed for the crimp die as I've never messed with it after setting it up the first time. For the seating die it's awesome though. Makes going from my 1.170 open load to my 1.130 minor load easy. 

2 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

They are on top like normal. But right at the very top of the threads. Never had any issues though. I'm not really convinced a micrometer is needed for the crimp die as I've never messed with it after setting it up the first time. For the seating die it's awesome though. Makes going from my 1.170 open load to my 1.130 minor load easy. 

Same here.  Have used the Redding Competition Pro Micrometer Taper Crimp Die for MANY years.  After some discussion with an engineer at Redding, I decided to try the standard taper crimp die as I was never having to adjust the micrometer either!  I'm definitely liking the "simplicity" of the standard die that has become a set it and forget it station.

Thanks for your reply!

👍