Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FRAUD ALERT – Maximus Arms (aka Maximus Firearms) AND Marathon Postal Annex – FRAUDULENT COMPANIES! Pass the word. Here are the details…

jwhittin

All,

I placed an order online 23Sept22 at maxiumsfirearms.com (aka Maximus Arms).  The website seems legit but it is fraudulent! Beware!!!  Everything seemed okay at first.  They offered a 10% discount to use Zelle which I didn’t mind.  The status of my order showed processing.  I emailed them after 4 days to check on the status and they provided a tracking number 094832962387 (a fake number) and a link for more info https://marathonpostalannex.com. 

I contacted Marathon Postal Annex (MPA) and they emailed the notice below demanding $297 for a “Diplomatic and Customs” stamp to release my order for deliver.  They insisted it was a COVID policy but the email says nothing about COVID. I refused to pay and realized this was a scam.

I contacted the so called sales manager at Maximus who stated his name is Christopher Paluch.  He initially spoke to me.  Said they have been using MPA for 5 years with no problem and would look into it.  Nothing heard.  I left messages and emails.  I discovered that the business addresses listed on both websites do not exist.  It also looks like Maximus Firearms had a spotty past and is no longer in business.

It’s too late for me, but I hope to get the word out to the shooting community so no one else gets ripped off.  I’ve started filing fraud reports with various agencies and companies including Tennessee, my bank, Zelle, FTC.gov, FBI, and will continue with others as identified.  I will be cross posting the alert to other shooting community blogs. Please help me get the word out to the community.

Please contact me if you have any experience with these websites or for more information.

Joel

This isn't the first time I've herd of Zelle being used in a fraud. I saw one article where they impersonated the exact same types of emails Zelle would send. It looked normal on the phone but when they opened it up on a computer the fonts, links, and buttons were all off and not working. They did the same with contacting Zelle and their bank but it was too late as the transaction was already made at their approval. I personally got rid of paypal and venmo after reading this. Sorry this had to happen to you. 

Edited by Kwontanamo

That is a good point.  I didn't even ask since they offered a discount with Zelle.  If they refuse to accept a CC that would be a big red flag.    Do you agree that Zelle is a legitimate form of payment for companies?  

1 hour ago, jwhittin said:

That is a good point.  I didn't even ask since they offered a discount with Zelle.  If they refuse to accept a CC that would be a big red flag.    Do you agree that Zelle is a legitimate form of payment for companies?  

100% No.

Again, unless they are handing you a product in a face to face transaction in exchange for the cash, NEVER PAY ANYONE YOU DON'T KNOW WITH CASH!

Don't mail cash. Don't e-mail cash.

I wouldn't even pay a company I'd done business with online before with Zelle, Venmo, or whatever.

One of the few upsides with credit cards is buyer protection. USE A CREDIT CARD.

I can almost guarantee if you had told that company you'd rather pay with a credit card they would have never even responded to you.