Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic cleaning 2011

m0dnar

I don't own a 2011 but I own Glocks, 1911's S&W revolvers and they all go in my US cleaner, plastic parts and all.  No issues at all.  I run the Glocks about 30 mins.

I have a Lyman US, TURBO SONIC 6000 ULTRASONIC CASE CLEANER.  It will hold 2 guns.  For the small part I use Rubbermaid screw lid containers that I have drilled 1/8" holes in the bottom and about a quarter of the way up.  After running the machine, I rinse in hot water and blow dry using the basement air compressor (20gal tank).

I tried the Hornady solution but  found at it didn't clean as well as the Lyman.

YMMV.

This is brilliant and at under $500 not a bad way to get into the ultrasonic game. Seems like I would only need to clean my slide by hand since I wouldn't want to take off my optic and re-zero every time, but that's only like 10 minutes of hand cleaning vs 45 for the whole gun.

I was honestly going to just do a field strip and dunk the entire frame in. I don't trust myself to detail strip a 2011 yet. I still have a .22LR 1911 that I meant to upgrade with EGW parts sitting in multiple zip lock bags because I can't put it back together. 

I did a field strip and dunk at first, but this last gun was crusty, so I decided to detail strip it.  You should be fine. Just be sure to dry it well. Some compressed air and then oil/lube appropriately.