Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock Replacement On Sti

james57

I broke my slide lock (pin broke in two pieces- it looks like cheap pressed metal) and see that the Brownell's catalog lists slide locks for different calibers. I have a 38 Super Open and thought you needed just a regular slide lock for replacement and modified it to not lock the slide back. Am I wrong to think about an EGW from Brownell's as the way to fix my STI?

Edited by james57

There's more to a good 1911 slide-stop than slapping a new one in. The pin that goes through the frame is where as well-fitted barrel's feet ride and is important that it be sized right for the correct barrel lockup. You'll want to mic yours to make sure.

Good info on checking o.d.of the pin. EGW sells/makes great parts, their pin is .200 while lots of others are .198 minor fitting to the barrel feet (file) might be required. BTW, I use EGW's in all my guns, never broke one. You may have some other problem??? mikeg

Proper fitting is best left up to a gunsmith. As for quality parts, any of those listed as "bar stock ought to be supperior to the MIM part that broke on you; of those available, I like the Nowlin barstock (time was it was not listed in Brownells & you had to call Nowlin) or EGW (does EGW make any bad parts? I doubt it).

Most of the breakages I've seen through the years have one thing in common: brittleness due to incorrect heat treating. Unfortunately, this brittlenes is "sporadic" and will attack ALL brands now and then. Just pray it doesn't happen to you.

The slide stop/lock needs to be tough enough to withstand the pounding of the slide's cycling and the friction of the barrel link and barrel's feet. Quite a bit to ask. Think of it: It's the only thing holding the two halves of your gun from parting company during firing.

Yes EGW makes about the best slide stop out there. Their "oversize" pin is very popular. My $0.02, though DO NOT CUT the barrel's feet, "ever", when replacing the pin. Even with an oversize pin. The "two thousands of an inch is not enough to create any problems, usually, and is just taking up existing wear and tear, and bringing it back closer to to OEM specs.

There's more to a good 1911 slide-stop than slapping a new one in. The pin that goes through the frame is where as well-fitted barrel's feet ride and is important that it be sized right for the correct barrel lockup. You'll want to mic yours to make sure.
They guy at STI warned me that exactly when I called to ask if I could drop in an "extended" slide lock into my Trojan.

He said they are fitted so tight that you have to measure them.