Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fishing quote that applies to many outdoor pursuits

Scrounger

I was listening to an old Meat Eater Podcast and Steve Renella brought up this old quote. I live in a city, but was raised in the country. You could plug in shooting, hunting, camping, hiking into this instead of fishing and it would ring true for me…

I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going this way for the last time and I for one don't want to waste the trip. Because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters. Because in the woods I can find solitude without loneliness. ... And finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.
Robert Traver
Edited by Scrounger

Haha, awesome…🤣  

Matches and practice are my weekend refuge in town. Went to the mountains to fish a few weeks ago and remembered how nice it was to be away from the crowds. 

Edited by Scrounger

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Dranoel said:

My grandfather told me that joke when I was 8 yrs old. We were fishing at the time. I didn't get the joke 7 more yrs.🙄

Cool grandpa though!👏