Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 dies

I’m trying to find as many dies as possible which would hold the shell plate down for consistency.

I just got the FFB shell plate and adjusted it as instructed. It floats higher that the OEM and has a space underneath which makes sense as it cycles around to reduce drag and wear. But when you down stroke the handle the dies will then need to hold it down to the base for consistency. I want to hold my shell plate down so I get nice primer seating depth and no plate flex. Right now I have the LEE undersize die and the FCD both threaded down and touch the shell plate to hold it. Those are both at the first and last station so to triangulate pressure I have the Everglades primer hold down die as well. The swage station has the backer die which also holds the shell plate down as well but not in the same way I would like which is the die threaded down to touch the shell plate.

I think the only other die to hold the shell plate would be a seating die but I don’t know which one would thread down to touch the shell plate like the FCD and sizing die then still allow for seating depth adjustment.

Please let me know what you guys think. 

Yeah I’ve heard of doing this but I don’t have unused stations. I have the MR bullet feeder so that station won’t work.

This is why I think the only option I have would be to find a seating die that screws down until it touches the shell plate just like the FCD and undersize die. But it would mean seating depth isn’t dependent on the die in the tool head adjustment but rather internally somehow. I’ve seen those dance micro adjustment dies but I don’t know which would work for this.

This would give me 3 stations toward the front that hold the shell plate and the primer backer die toward the opposite side. I suppose the swage and backer die accomplish almost the same purpose so basically that’s 5 stations holding the plate down if I can find a good seating die. 

Does that seating die thread down to touch shell plate? I need one that does this but doesn’t affect seating depth. The Dillon seating die doesn’t do this and as you thread it in more the OAL is affected. 

I’ve never used those fancy does but need someone who has to confirm I can thread it down to touch the shell plate. 

I guess I’m out of the loop with all the new fancy dies and need to learn what’s out there.

what are these FW decap dies? Then the Lyman M die and the Redding micrometer die?

In station 1 I decap and size with the MGW U die then station 2 have the Dillon expander/backer die which offsets the swage rod. The priming station I have the backer die and then I have the upgraded alpha powder dropper. After this is the bullet feeder then the stock Dillon seating die and last the LE FCD.

I would like to upgrade dies but don’t understand how these new ones would fit in. 

3 hours ago, brian45acp said:

Does that seating die thread down to touch shell plate? I need one that does this but doesn’t affect seating depth. The Dillon seating die doesn’t do this and as you thread it in more the OAL is affected. 

I’ve never used those fancy does but need someone who has to confirm I can thread it down to touch the shell plate. 

You shouldn't need to thread it down to the shell plate.  All you 're looking to do is to seat the bullet.   If you have a factory bullet to copy, put it in the shell holder and screw down the seating die until you feel light resistance.  Otherwise, seat and measure.  Seat and measure.

I think I’m going to just put the OEM shell plate back in. I bought the FFB plate but I don’t like how lose it sits. Once adjusted correctly for case feeding the plate is quite loose and you can wobble it with your finger up and down. This is why I wanted hold down dies but I’ll just go back to dillons shell plate and avoid the headache. The FFB plate is thicker to be stronger so the feed lips have been lowered and the entire plate needs to ride higher to be flush to the feeding surface. The stock plate I am 1 thousandth underneath for a gap and the FFB I am 19 thousandth. It’s a massive amount of wiggle because of it. 

I’ve ran this press for years but just broke it all down to service it with grease and replace all springs and worn parts etc. I bought some upgrades as well but I think simple is the way to go. 

Edited by brian45acp