Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

92x sa pull

richrd

short question, does a lighter sear spring (understanding I may need to make it) effect the sa pull?

I have polished the sear surfaces as much I dare with a ceramic stone. Not removing metal or changing angles, just smoothing.

Wilson hammer just lightly touched, and played with the hammer spring a bit which had little effect on sa pull.  I am satisfied with the da.  Single action is sitting a "real" 56 oz.

(Ive noticed the videos they can just wave a magic wand over the gun and get under two pounds.  But those digital scales (I have one) take time to "ramp up", and if you use it on the trigger quickly and stop as soon as the hammer breaks you will have a much lower reading.  Pull the scale slowly or use a spring scale and get much different result.)

Anyway, this is not my first trigger, but I'm not getting the results I know is possible. Before I do more polishing, what else might help?

Thanks

Rich

4 hours ago, richrd said:

short question, does a lighter sear spring (understanding I may need to make it) effect the sa pull?

I have polished the sear surfaces as much I dare with a ceramic stone. Not removing metal or changing angles, just smoothing.

Wilson hammer just lightly touched, and played with the hammer spring a bit which had little effect on sa pull.  I am satisfied with the da.  Single action is sitting a "real" 56 oz.

(Ive noticed the videos they can just wave a magic wand over the gun and get under two pounds.  But those digital scales (I have one) take time to "ramp up", and if you use it on the trigger quickly and stop as soon as the hammer breaks you will have a much lower reading.  Pull the scale slowly or use a spring scale and get much different result.)

Anyway, this is not my first trigger, but I'm not getting the results I know is possible. Before I do more polishing, what else might help?

Thanks

Rich

Is a 3.5 lb SA trigger that much of a handicap?

Before possibly ruining something, have you shot the pistol at speed just the way it sits now? 

it goes to the intended use of the pistol.  Will I use it for action events?  no.  just playing in the back yard.   That plus the fact that I'm an old bulleseye shooter,  well I'm used to 2.5 and under on handguns and 2 ounce triggers on rifles, and 3.5 feels like a ton at times.

I know what you're saying and I will not ruin anything.  I will stop short of that point, but there really is nothing in one of these guns that is not reversable. 

thanks stoney, that's the best write up I've seen yet, but it basically covers what I have done.  most articles and videos are more concerned with the da pull, which does'nt make a lot of sense to me.  It's nice to brag about, but how often do you really use it.

I'm not going to push the stoning any furthur until I get another sear.  I'll keep what I have as a pattern and base line so I always have a safe reliable fall back. 

Yes sear spring will affect SA pull. I bend it a little using two pairs of smooth jaw pliers. To keep track of what I am doing I hold it on a flat surface by the long end and measure the gap between the tip of the short end and the surface. Larger gap = weaker spring.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nCDK82][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52266942731_08ec0c2664_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nCDK82]SEAR Spring 3 (2)[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

It will sit like this w/o a finger so once you put your finger on it be sure not to rotate it as that will mess up your measurement. Something else you can do to reduce SA pull is cut a couple of coils off the firing pin block spring. Notice during a dry fire how the little block pops up out of the slide at the last tiny amount of trigger pull. Polish the sides of the block itself and be sure it has a bit of oil on it. Also do you have a dremel? I use a small polishing wheel w/ some polishing compound as the final step any time I stone anything. I actually don't have any stones. I use automotive wet/dry sandpaper. I got some popsicle sticks and a roll of double sided tape. Cut small strips of the sandpaper and tape them to the side of the stick. You can get a pack of assorted paper.

Wetordry Automotive Sandpaper, 3 2/3" x 9", Assorted 03006: Advance Auto Parts

Imperial Wetordry Sandpaper, 3 2/3" x 9", Assorted 03024: Advance Auto Parts

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, richrd said:

Thanks

Rich

High Richrd, The sear spring shape can be modified to to give you any pull you desire. see Article on https://www.pistolthoughts.com