Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21 Reduced loads

TRG65

A friend had a 1911 45 and a G-21.  He's got a load that runs about 168 pf out of the 1911 but he's having trouble getting the G-21 to cycle.  The 21 is used for IDPA SSP so the high pf isn't a concern for it, but reliability is.  In my G-34's when I've had similar problems a spring change has solved the issue.  I don't know what spring weight is standard on the 21, and don't want to recommend just go by every spring weight and try them all.  I have a Wolffe SS replacement guide rod for the 34, any problems with using this in the 21, other than moving the gun to ESP.  Help and suggestions appreciated.

If you search the Wolff springs site at http://www.gunsprings.com you'll find the weight of the stock spring that's available for the G21.  You'll also find what reduced weight springs they offer and the stainless steel guiderod.  FWIW the G21 can not move to ESP because of it's caliber; it would have to move to CDP where the power factor is 165.

I believe the stock spring is a 17lb. if I remember correctly.  I think there might be another issue, however, because it should be able to run a load with a much lower PF than 168 before having cycling problems.  My 21 would anyway.  

Is he trying to shoot a SWC bullet?  I had trouble getting those to feed in my gun.  Seems the empty case would sometimes catch on the "shoulder" of the next round as the case ejected.   That's all I've got for now, but I'm thinking.   Anyone else?

Fireant - I like a Westcoast 200 grn Semiwadcutter at 1.245" OAL over 4.0 grns of straight Clays powder - I have gons as low as 3.7 to 3.8 grns and it functioned inmy STI though you will certianly have to lower your spring rate in the 21 and the rounds will all hit higher due to the lower velocity -I know , seems backwards. BTW, the semiwadcutters functioned 100% in my friend's Glock 21; others have had trouble getting SWCs to function in their Glocks.

Thanks all I think I have the stuff to make it work.  My buddy shouldn't need to order anything.  

CGR,

Do you run a shock buff or anything  a 13lb spring seems very light for 175 pf load?  I use a 13 with my 9mm 147 gr 127 pf load.

HTRN,

If you make it to the Bealsville IDPA match, look for Dale Taylor.  I think he will be at that match.  He is a 1911 guy from way back...but, also shoots the G21 (or soon will again...as soon as Glock sends him the G21 he won).

He will have some good ideas on Major/Minor loads in the G21.