Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mantis dryfire 'host' gun

fmiller4

Hi!

I posted this in the airsoft section but never got a reply. I thought this forum might be a better place to ask, apologies for double dipping... (?)

SO -

I've been using a Mantis system on a CZ P01 (DA/SA) for dry-fire training. I just sold that pistol and have no other that can fire in DA mode.

I'd like to train with my Sig P365XL. As yet there are no dry-fire mags available. Not yet anyway - I'm pretty sure they'll eventually be a thing. 

I'd like to avoid having to re-rack the slide between shots. Simulated recoil would be a plus. Economical is kind of a necessity right now.

What I'm  after is a 'host' for my Mantis that I can use for practice. I'm considering a Sig CO2 P365 - it has simulated recoil and seems like it'd work. But people online say it's not very well made. I wouldn't be actually firing BBs (it's just for the Mantis) so accuracy isn't really important to me - just want a simulator.

I'm not married to the idea of my trainer being a 1:1 copy of my gun, but it would be nice. I also shoot a couple of Caniks, so perhaps a Glock-clone would work?

Any thoughts here? Have any of you been down this road?

(to clarify, as other forums have answered every question EXCEPT the one I'm asking) I already HAVE a Mantis - don't need to be sold on the concept. Likewise dryfire. Completely sold. I'm just looking for something to attach the Mantis to so I can practice.

Thanks!

f

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 11:32 AM, fmiller4 said:

I'd like to train with my Sig P365XL. As yet there are no dry-fire mags available.

Why do you need a "dry fire mag?"  Load some dummy rounds for weight.

Also the CO2 gun probably will not help you because of the differences in weight, feel and other kinetic feedback issues.

The Mantis will work on any gun.

If you want blow back Coolfire has some for Sigs, not sure about which models.

Edited by HesedTech

On 7/5/2022 at 1:32 PM, fmiller4 said:

Hi!

I posted this in the airsoft section but never got a reply. I thought this forum might be a better place to ask, apologies for double dipping... (?)

SO -

I've been using a Mantis system on a CZ P01 (DA/SA) for dry-fire training. I just sold that pistol and have no other that can fire in DA mode.

I'd like to train with my Sig P365XL. As yet there are no dry-fire mags available. Not yet anyway - I'm pretty sure they'll eventually be a thing. 

I'd like to avoid having to re-rack the slide between shots. Simulated recoil would be a plus. Economical is kind of a necessity right now.

What I'm  after is a 'host' for my Mantis that I can use for practice. I'm considering a Sig CO2 P365 - it has simulated recoil and seems like it'd work. But people online say it's not very well made. I wouldn't be actually firing BBs (it's just for the Mantis) so accuracy isn't really important to me - just want a simulator.

I'm not married to the idea of my trainer being a 1:1 copy of my gun, but it would be nice. I also shoot a couple of Caniks, so perhaps a Glock-clone would work?

Any thoughts here? Have any of you been down this road?

(to clarify, as other forums have answered every question EXCEPT the one I'm asking) I already HAVE a Mantis - don't need to be sold on the concept. Likewise dryfire. Completely sold. I'm just looking for something to attach the Mantis to so I can practice.

Thanks!

f

The point of dry fire isn't to simulate recoil or to have a live trigger for every press.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a sirt gun. The trigger is heavier than my actual gun and it breaks harder but I can draw, change mags and work on trigger press. I don’t use the laser because I mounted a red dot to the sirt and the later is distracting. I mostly use the sirt/mantis for quick trigger presses only. For draw and mag changes its very inaccurate unless I slow down. The mantis doesn’t seem to work really well for anything other than trigger press and initial draw reaction times. With that said I really like the mantis and the sirt i just use them both differently except when I’m practicing to pressing the trigger quicky once when the timer goes off. 

• 8 months later...