Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross-dominant eye shotgun shooting

Hi all,

I'm a cross-dominant marksman (right-handed, but left eye dominant in shooting).  It doesn't cause me any issues when shooting a handgun.  I just tilt my and head and shoot fine.  With a rifle, I use a scope or red dot, and I use my non-dominant right eye with no issues.   

The problem I've encountered is using a shotgun with a bead or fiber optic front sight.  I'm not able to tilt or cant my head since the shotgun is shoulder mounted.  The only workaround I have figured out is to squint with my dominant eye, and use my non-dominant eye for target acquisition.  This works fine for static shooting where I'm not moving around, but I have found that trying to move and shoot with one eye open is exceedingly difficult.  I'm not able to train my non-dominant eye to become dominant; I've tried to no avail.

I've considered mounting a red dot to my shotgun to bypass the cross-dominant issue just like on my rifle, but I'm not fully prepared to dive into open division in 3 gun.

Does anyone else share the same issue?  Or have any advice on how to overcome this dilemma?

Any advice would be helpful.

Alex

17 minutes ago, GigG said:

A small piece of tape in the middle of the lens of your shooting glasses on the dominant eye is worth a try.

Yeah, in trap I tried this method but it didn't work well for me.  In multi-gun it isn't an option for me due to the transition to other shooting platforms.

Just now, abigger04 said:

Yeah, in trap I tried this method but it didn't work well for me.  In multi-gun it isn't an option for me due to the transition to other shooting platforms.

It doesn't work for everyone.  But if it does work it can work with all guns.

I’m in the same boat as you (left eye dominant, right handed shooter). When shooting a shotgun with both eyes open, my left eye sees the front bead and takes over. I put on the Champion Easyhit and it corrected the problem. The fiber optic is recessed down into a tube so only my right eye, which is directly behind the sight, can see it. 

27 minutes ago, nheiny13 said:

I’m in the same boat as you (left eye dominant, right handed shooter). When shooting a shotgun with both eyes open, my left eye sees the front bead and takes over. I put on the Champion Easyhit and it corrected the problem. The fiber optic is recessed down into a tube so only my right eye, which is directly behind the sight, can see it. 

I just ordered an Easyhit earlier.  Did that solve your issue?