Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom 10/16 barrel and magazine issues

I just got a Taccom 10/16 barrel, and it runs the best of anything I've tried so far.  One, ahem, minor issue is that the bottom feed ramp blocks my glock magazines from being fully inserted (had to test the barrel by feeding rounds one at a time into the chamber).  I have a JP GMR13 and an AR15 with a Stern magazine adapter, and with the ramped barrel in use neither will load a magazine.  So far I've been using unramped barrels, mainly older Taccom ones, successfully, but would like to make the 10/16 my main choice.

I think I've got two possible solutions:

- find a magazine adapter that will work with the ramped barrel, or

- have a gunsmith grind off the ramp

Any other suggestions?

For any of you that use ramped barrels, what are you using for a lower or magazine adapter?

So on the GMR13........I believe that the magazine is closer to the barrel than most. That would mean you will need to grind the feed ramp back some.....the easy way to figure out how much is to look thru the mag well with that barrel installed. line up the front of the magwell and look down it. If you see ramp......that much would need to be cut back

On the Stern adapter.....you need to remove their feed ramp bar on the adapter....one or two set screws. I am pretty sure that you'll be able to load a mag into it then......we've not heard of anyone having issues loading a mag into that insert as on that set up, the mag is about .200" back from the end of the barrel.

If you have any questions.....call us at the shop, I can help you better then.

Tim

Most lowers, BTW...PSA, Aero, Spikes, NFA, GMR15 and others have zero issues like you mention. JP GMR13 and FM9 typically need to have the ramp cut back about .060" 

Edited by TRUBL
41 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

So on the GMR13........I believe that the magazine is closer to the barrel than most. That would mean you will need to grind the feed ramp back some.....the easy way to figure out how much is to look thru the mag well with that barrel installed. line up the front of the magwell and look down it. If you see ramp......that much would need to be cut back

On the Stern adapter.....you need to remove their feed ramp bar on the adapter....one or two set screws. I am pretty sure that you'll be able to load a mag into it then......we've not heard of anyone having issues loading a mag into that insert as on that set up, the mag is about .200" back from the end of the barrel.

Thanks, I'll give it to a gunsmith to grind off the feed ramp, then put it on the JP.  Will continue to use my old Taccom 14.5" carbon fiber barrel with the AR15.

5 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

With Tim's help I removed enough of the feed ramp to work with the JP lower.  Ran the gun with 115 gr. and 147 gr. bullets, including hollow points, using both fast and slow powders, and it ate everything.

Nice barrel.

Glad to hear it worked! He makes great barrels. I run the 10-16 myself.

17 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

Glad to hear it worked! He makes great barrels. I run the 10-16 myself.

And you can't ask for better support than I got.  Talked to Tim for around 20 minutes to go over what should be done to get it working.

Now I have to figure out what bullet and powder to use.  The saga continues...

18 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

And you can't ask for better support than I got.  Talked to Tim for around 20 minutes to go over what should be done to get it working.

Now I have to figure out what bullet and powder to use.  The saga continues...

So far I have noticed i like a higher power factor to run the comp better.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:08 PM, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

With Tim's help I removed enough of the feed ramp to work with the JP lower.  Ran the gun with 115 gr. and 147 gr. bullets, including hollow points, using both fast and slow powders, and it ate everything.

Nice barrel.

ETA: in the JP PCC it doesn't like hollow points.  I assume theywould work if I had the top feed ramp installed, but that's not compatible with the JP lower (magazine is held higher than with my Stern Defense adapter and bumps into the feed ramp).

This is surprising.  I have a GMR-13 & 15 lower.  In my experience the GMR is the only PCC lower that can reliably handle hollow points.

If one is unable or unwilling to buy a GMR lower, then the TACCOM super feed barrel is a good second option.  Its great with hollow points but sometimes may hiccup.  All other platforms and combos just doesn't work in my experience.

As you note the GMR lower receiver holds the magazine higher which is the secret to their reliability.

Try using a JP brand BOLT and your mag should seat.

28 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

This is surprising.  I have a GMR-13 & 15 lower.  In my experience the GMR is the only PCC lower that can reliably handle hollow points.

If one is unable or unwilling to buy a GMR lower, then the TACCOM super feed barrel is a good second option.  Its great with hollow points but sometimes may hiccup.  All other platforms and combos just doesn't work in my experience.

As you note the GMR lower receiver holds the magazine higher which is the secret to their reliability.

Try using a JP brand BOLT and your mag should seat.

The GMR 13 is currently set up with the Taccom 10/16 barrel and bolt.  With that combination hollow points don't work.  For whatever reason, with that barrel they don't load properly.  My *guess* is that it's something to do with the feed ramp, but it's only a guess, and I don't care enough to spend the time to figure out why.  They *did* work with the JP barrel.  Don't know what the difference is, and I'm fine with just avoiding HPs with it.  The barrel is that nice.

4 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

Update us with your progress, this is a good data point.  I spent a lot of time troubleshooting PCCs so information on different combinations interests me (and other I am sure).

Hmmm.

I'm glad you asked, because the problem was that it doesn't seem to like cartridges loaded short.  I tried using a COAL of 1.105, and it worked fine.  Don't know what the optimum length is, or what would be a reasonable range, but it can be made to work reliably.