Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Defensive load for Sig P365

MingTyhMaa

I'd like to make a 147 grain load similar to defensive ammo.  When I look at all the Federal and Gold Dot defensive ammos, the power factor ranges from 139-147.  So I figured I'd make a reload with 147 grain ammo with a PF around 145-147 to train with, and then purposely buy 147 grain defensive ammo for the real deal.  

My question is, Sig has a 9MM, 115GR, ELITE V-CROWN, 365 JHP which is a 115 grain JMP with a velocity of 1050 and a PF of 121.  I understand why Sig might want to make a defensive round with a lower felt recoil since the SIg P365 (my defensive handgun), is a very small light handgun, but how do I reconcile the idea that all the other 9mm defensive ammo has a PF of around 141-147 and this singular advertised defensive round for the Sig P365 has a PF of 121?

Is it possible that the velocity of 1050 is indeed measure in a 3.1 in barrel of the Sig P365 instead of the other defensive rounds which are typically measured in a 4in barrel?

Just build some and test em.

Maybe V-crown designed to expand at lower velocity, but I doubt it?

In SW Shield (3.1” barrel) w/ Silhouette, AANo7, HS-6, Power Pistol:

115 JHP SD loads running 1180-1200 FPS

147 JHP SD loads running in the 1080 range. 

Edited by iflyskyhigh

16 hours ago, MingTyhMaa said:

Is it possible that the velocity of 1050 is indeed measure in a 3.1 in barrel of the Sig P365 instead of the other defensive rounds which are typically measured in a 4in barrel?

It is  marketing. Same ammo as there others.  Ammo velocity is normally measured in a 4.5 to 5 inch barrel. 

Hornady actually puts a .380 projectile in there lite critical defense ammo.

Edited by AHI

18 hours ago, MingTyhMaa said:

That's exactly it. The Sig ammo earmarked for the 365 is specifically tested in the P365. And they use a 115 gr head because it will achieve better velocity than a 147 gr head, and will expand easier at lower velocities.

Edited by Postal Bob

May I ask the 150g HST federal literally says in the box that it's designed for micro carry pistols.  900 fps.  That's somewhat the opposite philosophy of the prior mentioned easier expansion of the 115g bullet.  Well perhaps I'll stop overthinking it.. thanks everyone lol

On 4/22/2022 at 5:59 PM, MingTyhMaa said:

but how do I reconcile the idea that all the other 9mm defensive ammo has a PF of around 141-147 and this singular advertised defensive round for the Sig P365 has a PF of 121?

You are overthinking this. A heavy bullet has more energy because it's heavy, the old kinetic energy thing. A 45ACP for example has a heavy bullet is slow, 1000 fps, but hits hard.

Also a high velocity 9mm is a lot harder to grip and control recoil in a small gun. Better to hit intended target than miss.

A 150 g at 900 FPS = 135 PF

165 @ 1000 = 165 PF

It's all about the expansion capabilities of the bullet. As a hunter concerned with bullet expansion for hunting, general rule was lighter bullets in the same caliper expanded faster. and vice versa. But HD bullets for handguns is all different. You can design a heavier bullet, with a thin jacket, for maximum expansion. So even a heavier bullet, at a slower speed, can be designed for maximum expansion.

And PF isn't as important as expansion capabilities. The greater expansion, the greater the wound channel. This is why today's 9mm HD loads, can be just as effective as loads of larger calibers were years ago.

Edited by Postal Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 3:59 PM, MingTyhMaa said:

I'd like to make a 147 grain load similar to defensive ammo.  When I look at all the Federal and Gold Dot defensive ammos, the power factor ranges from 139-147.  So I figured I'd make a reload with 147 grain ammo with a PF around 145-147 to train with, and then purposely buy 147 grain defensive ammo for the real deal.  

My question is, Sig has a 9MM, 115GR, ELITE V-CROWN, 365 JHP which is a 115 grain JMP with a velocity of 1050 and a PF of 121.  I understand why Sig might want to make a defensive round with a lower felt recoil since the SIg P365 (my defensive handgun), is a very small light handgun, but how do I reconcile the idea that all the other 9mm defensive ammo has a PF of around 141-147 and this singular advertised defensive round for the Sig P365 has a PF of 121?

I use 3N38 with 147 grain bullets and get 1060