Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grayguns competition trigger springs - I know this has been talked about

jimbullet

Hi,

New to the X5 legion and I have been searching in this forum for information on the GrayGuns competition kit so yeah I know there has been a long winding topic out there already. I'm on the cusp of getting one but before spending on it, what I want to know is - because the kit comes with multiple sear springs, is there a tried and proven combination of those springs that would achieve a trigger pull no less than 3 lbs to meet IPSC production rules.

I know the trigger system is able to achieve +/- 2.5 lbs but can it actually achieve 3lbs without the need to buy other parts? My concern is I buy it and work out the combinations on it and it turns out that it will either be too heavy at 4lbs or too light (less than the IPSC legal limit of 3lbs). Or is it better that I just tinker with polishing the sear and probably reducing the firing pin safety spring tension (as I think this also contributes to the trigger weight). The x5 legion I have is at a 4.5 lbs from factory... huge pre travel but "post-travel) is spot on without any over travel once the trigger breaks.

2 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Hi,

New to the X5 legion and I have been searching in this forum for information on the GrayGuns competition kit so yeah I know there has been a long winding topic out there already. I'm on the cusp of getting one but before spending on it, what I want to know is - because the kit comes with multiple sear springs, is there a tried and proven combination of those springs that would achieve a trigger pull no less than 3 lbs to meet IPSC production rules.

I know the trigger system is able to achieve +/- 2.5 lbs but can it actually achieve 3lbs without the need to buy other parts? My concern is I buy it and work out the combinations on it and it turns out that it will either be too heavy at 4lbs or too light (less than the IPSC legal limit of 3lbs). Or is it better that I just tinker with polishing the sear and probably reducing the firing pin safety spring tension (as I think this also contributes to the trigger weight). The x5 legion I have is at a 4.5 lbs from factory... huge pre travel but "post-travel) is spot on without any over travel once the trigger breaks.

Just finished installing an AC flat trigger & GG competition kit in my P320 MAX.  Installed the competition sear springs and competition trigger bar spring.  Brought the average pull to 2.5#.  Installed the intermediate trigger bar spring and brought me right to 2# 14.4oz.  Close enough to 3# to call it good!  

👍

My experience with P320's is that they are somewhat individualistic when it comes to what kind of trigger pull they have from the factory and how they respond to aftermarket modifications.

Having said that my guess is that using the complete GG competition kit with the lighter weight springs, sear spring and trigger return spring, will usually result in less than a 3# pull.

While I've never tried the heavier springs supplied with the kit I wouldn't be surprised if by using both the heavier sear and TRS that you would be a bit over 3#.

But that is just a wild assed guess on my part.

I think you are going to have to do some experimenting and some mixing and matching to get where you want to go.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not widely discussed but the Gray Guns trigger kit comes with 2 pairs of sear springs, competition and a heavier one.  I don't recall if they ship 2 pairs for the trigger return spring.  Springer sells a lighter powered ISMI trigger return spring, and depending on how your trigger feels with the GG drop in competition set you can tune it heavier with different trigger return spring.  The pretravel and the distance it spends disconnecting from the sear will remain stock with the GG kit but it is safe as Bruce Gray intended.  You can optimize the trigger to its full potential but requires sending it to The Sig Armorer for his competition trigger job where he trims the firing pin hook, adds material to the trigger return bar, polishes, and changes the pivot geometry of the trigger shoe.  The result feels as good as SA triggers in Tanfos and Shadows and is about 3.5 lbs - 4.0 lbs on a Lyman but under the timer it feels sub 3.0 lbs.

As I stated above, in my P320 MAX the GG kit using the sear, polished safety lever, competition sear and trigger bar springs produced a 2.5# pull consistently.  This was using the AC flat trigger vs the one in the GG kit.  I did not use the set screw to limit pre-travel.  

The GG kit also includes intermediate TB and sear springs.

Here's an excellent video where Edmond shows in detail the major modifications of TSA's trigger job:

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp