Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of shot shell is recommended?

eflatminor

On 3/19/2022 at 6:09 AM, kurtm said:

What gun will play a part in shotshells selection. Let's start there.

I plan to have a competition-oriented shotgun built out for me.  Right now, I'm trying to decide between Dissident Arms, Hayes Custom Guns, or Hawkeye Ordnance.  I wanted to first ensure there isn't anyone local that can do it, but no luck there so far, so I'll probably go with one of those three known entities.  

Until then, I'm using an old Remington pump.  Not exactly competitive, but it'll be fun nonetheless.

I'm surprised the make of the gun would make a difference.  I figured everyone using over the counter shot shells would be gravitating towards the same charge and shot size.

Most guys are just using whatever reasonably priced birdshot they can find, given of course that it works in their gun. 

So #7-9 shot, 7/8-1.125oz, 1145-1350fps. There are exceptions but some combination of the above numbers probably covers what 95% or more of 3 gunners are using.

I.E. magazine fed guns generally need hotter ammo. Inertia guns generally like 1 1/8 ounce loads going at least 1150 fps. Gas guns can usually use 7/8-1 ounce loads in the 1100 fps range.....so yes, type of gun is important. Now if I know what gun, or gun type, I can save you a lot of trial and error, especially since ammo is now hard to find, or you can buy a bunch of different ammo and do your own testing on your own gun, or go with what your gunsmith recommends with the guns he builds.