Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can remove the lettering on a slide

troupe

I have a commander slide that is a factory Remington slide in stainless. It is marked with a large logo of Remington on one side and R1911 and Recon on the other side. It is a nice slide that I fitted and it is nice, but I prefer to have the lettering removed. I have had two different well known smiths say that it could be done. One involved more money than the slide cost. Anyone know someone that might want to tackle it. I would like it removed in manner as to cut panels out of the slide, maybe .20 deep. Or I could just leave it and shoot it the way it is.  Open to some thoughts. The slide does have front and rear angled cocking serrations on it.

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

Edited by troupe

As noted,  any competent machine shop should be able to complete the work. Yes,  with set up time and work involved it would probably be close to cost of slide.  Good work isn’t cheap..  Also,  be sure they know what you asking for.  Your post indicates you want to take off .20” but I would assume you want .020”?

I agree, but there is reasonable and fair.  I learned a valuable lesson early on in my shooting career, I thought to be competitive you had to have the best builders, the biggest names in the industry. Well, I waited and learned, spent thousands, and progressed much faster with smiths that were not as big named. Smiths that built just as good, if not better than some Big names. Thanks for the correction on the .20,  you are correct. I meant .020.  .20 may just create holes.

This may not be a popular answer but the benefit to the 1911 slide is the sides are basically flat. A good vise with soft jaws, 200 grit sandpaper can remove the lettering. Increase the grit until you get to the 6000 range for a higher polish. Little projects like this will also build confidence. 

I have a Taurus 92 stainless slide that I cleaned up. Started with a file to flatten it out. Then I used some 180 grit sandpaper, and finished it up with some 220. You can go finer, but I didn’t want it too shiny. You don’t need to get carried away in either step. Use a fine file to get the roll marks out and then sand it just enough to get the scratches out left from the previous step. If you’re not going for a shiny finish, be sure to sand it longways for the final step.40D338BF-FEE7-46E6-8124-81A387961AFC.thumb.jpeg.dfd6bec241d5be5428ff0e0a69330e16.jpeg

Edited by spyke52

• 2 weeks later...