Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 EVO Rifle Powder drop not metering consistently

mpmo

I've had inconsistent powder drops while loading 9mm also.  After getting it dialed in, I'll run about 10 rounds through and check powder weight.  It'll hold for a while but after 30 or so rounds it creeps up .4gr.  I've run about 1k rounds through the press since I've had it and have to constantly check the powder drops and make adjustment.  I never had problems with powder drops from the 750.  I could come back after a few days off from reloading and it would be right where I left it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update.  I am now able to get very consistent drops with the Hornady powder measure and know what was going on with it.  I am using the micro-metered drum insert and it does move over time, just slightly.  Almost not enough to even see.  And there is no index to reference.  But enough to change the drop by 0.2.  I used tape to get it to stick in place and that worked.  Next time I go to load .223, I will be switching it over to the standard Rifle drum insert which locks down.  

So, there is a good chance that the same thing is going on with the Mark 7.  Even though I have the locking bolt wrenched very tightly and I'm not seeing any movement.  It still could be moving.  I'm not sure what could more could be done to stop that if it is moving.  Maybe loc-tite?  That scares me. 

I am done loading .223 I believe for the next several months.  When I go back to it I will probably just use the Hornady powder measure since it is working and save the Mark 7 for another caliber or sell it.  

The rest of the machine and the process is crazy smooth and I'm loading at rates I'm very happy with!  I love this freaking press!!!

• 2 weeks later...