Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra-short 9mm round nose revolver loads

Fishbreath

I recently came into a 9mm Super GP100, which has .3575" chamber throats and thus probably wants a .358" bullet, if I'm using coated. The problem there is that the Super GP has short chambers with a sharp taper into the chamber throat, so my preferred round nose Blue Bullets in .358 interfere with the throat unless they're loaded very short: 1.100" or so.

With a longish round-nose bullet, that doesn't leave a lot of case capacity—the bullet is seated .329" into the case, according to Gordon's Reloading Tool, which also says that my usual minor powders (Clays, Bullseye, Ramshot Zip, soon N320) generate some hair-raising pressures at that length.

Are there any CZ guys running super-short loads with a similar seating depth? Or should I look at different bullets?

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

I recently came into a 9mm Super GP100, which has .3575" chamber throats and thus probably wants a .358" bullet, if I'm using coated. The problem there is that the Super GP has short chambers with a sharp taper into the chamber throat, so my preferred round nose Blue Bullets in .358 interfere with the throat unless they're loaded very short: 1.100" or so.

With a longish round-nose bullet, that doesn't leave a lot of case capacity—the bullet is seated .329" into the case, according to Gordon's Reloading Tool, which also says that my usual minor powders (Clays, Bullseye, Ramshot Zip, soon N320) generate some hair-raising pressures at that length.

Are there any CZ guys running super-short loads with a similar seating depth? Or should I look at different bullets?

If you decide you want to skip the hassle I'll make you a good offer on that Ruger. 

To your question though, I have not loaded the BB 147 RN's that short. I think the shortest I ever loaded those was 1.125". 

The 147rn loaded that short . Will bulge the cases. Most likely to a point they're not going to chamber.

To load a .358 diameter bullet that short. You will have to drop to a 124 maybe depending on the profile

A 135.

36 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

If you decide you want to skip the hassle I'll make you a good offer on that Ruger. 

I'm actually looking for another one, so my main and backup guns aren't in different calibers.

4 minutes ago, AHI said:

The 147rn loaded that short . Will bulge the cases. Most likely to a point they're not going to chamber.

To load a .358 diameter bullet that short. You will have to drop to a 124 maybe depending on the profile

A 135.

I have a few moon clips of dummies loaded to 1.1", and they chamber.

They don't jam in that far—they just very lightly bind on the 'leade' between the chamber and the chamber throat.

On reflection, I don't really want to muck around with extra-short loads when I can just buy a .357" bullet from Bang and Clang instead. Hopefully the fact that they're softer than the usual coated bullet will counteract the slight undersize compared to the throats.