Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow systems “glock”

love2fishnshoot

On 5/11/2022 at 10:38 AM, matteekay said:

What kind of reliability issues?

During the 150 round quoted break-in period I had approximately 15% FTFs. No stovepipes, just pure FTFs. The barrel also has the same amount of wear from the slide after 150 rounds, if not more, as does my Glock 19.4 with approximately 3K rounds through it. The frequency of FTFs was the same across 2 different types of ammo and did not improve as I went towards the tail-end of the break-in period. This is reasonably high-quality ammo too, a mix of Fiocchi and American Eagle. All using their preferred Magpul pmag that came with the gun. Although not an expert shooter by any means, I've shot a couple local matches for fun and dry-fire regularly. I'm not one to immediately blame my equipment and double-checked my grip to make sure I'm not limp-wristing it or otherwise inducing malfunctions. The gun was also cleaned and oiled before I took it out for the break-in process. 

SS quotes on their break-in period video on their Youtube channel that really the gun should be broken in a couple of mags in, which is like 30-45 rounds, and should maybe have 1-2 malfunctions due to their "tight tolerances." After calling their customer service, they said up to a 5% malfunction rate during the break-in period is within spec. Even after being at triple that, 2 weeks after initiating contact with their CS, I still have yet to even receive a shipping label to get it sent back in for eval.

I went to my 2 largest local gun stores, and they said my experience although not common, is what they've experienced before. They have great designs and can make good guns. There are just a fair number of lemons. Both stores have had to send back multiple guns. And their CS is known for being slow and unresponsive. And the turn-around time for service is on the order of weeks. From this information, it seems like even if they get the shipping label to me Monday, is that I'll probably get the gun back maybe in a month. 6 weeks+ turnaround time to fix a gun that I currently can't trust to carry or use in competition is bad. The lack of follow-through per their CS in conjunction with that is in my mind unacceptable. If another issue arises, I just don't have the confidence they'll take care of me and live up to what they promise on their website and social media.

If you google "reddit malfunction shadow systems" or "failure to feed" you'll see quite a few posts and threads with people having the same issues whether it's with their DR920s, MR920s, or even their newly released CR920. 

At this point, I'm just completely soured on the brand and the gun no longer brings me any joy. I just want to send it back for a refund and to wait for the Walther PDP SD Pro to come out. 

I've got a pair of Gen5 G34s the wife shoots when she started gaming with me. Typical mods over time - several different triggers to try and get the right one, silicone carbide grip job , tungsten guiderod / lighter recoil spring & striker spring, extractor.  She shot those exclusively for a while - then she wanted to start transitioning over to CO so I picked up a DR920 and a Zev 0z9. Timney triggers in both, guiderod & spring changes again , and some grip work -  but between the two I was really surprised at the felt recoil differences . The DR920 is a good bit snappier. The Zev feels much softer. I guess maybe a combination of the Zev frame system and the DR920 using the shorter g19 recoil system even in a full frame gun. She shoots the Glock platform more than me, but she much prefers the g34 and Zev over the DR. It really just collects dust at this point unless I shoot it. The SS seems to be a well made gun, and I've had no issues with it.  I agree with her on the recoil, but I'm one of those that I just kind of get used to whatever it is I shoot enough of.  But for her its a deal breaker.

I have been shooting a DR920 since this model was introduced. I've used it primary with factory Glock mags. The gun has been fine and I don't recall ever having a malfunction with it even during the so called break in period. I'm running a TLR-1 light and Holosun 508T on it.

I recently picked up one of the new XR920s that is directly milled to accept the Aimpoint ACRO. I am running a Steiner MPS on it. I don't have a ton of rounds through it but it has also been trouble free. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:14 PM, Lingering said:

During the 150 round quoted break-in period I had approximately 15% FTFs. No stovepipes, just pure FTFs. The barrel also has the same amount of wear from the slide after 150 rounds, if not more, as does my Glock 19.4 with approximately 3K rounds through it. The frequency of FTFs was the same across 2 different types of ammo and did not improve as I went towards the tail-end of the break-in period. This is reasonably high-quality ammo too, a mix of Fiocchi and American Eagle. All using their preferred Magpul pmag that came with the gun. Although not an expert shooter by any means, I've shot a couple local matches for fun and dry-fire regularly. I'm not one to immediately blame my equipment and double-checked my grip to make sure I'm not limp-wristing it or otherwise inducing malfunctions. The gun was also cleaned and oiled before I took it out for the break-in process. 

SS quotes on their break-in period video on their Youtube channel that really the gun should be broken in a couple of mags in, which is like 30-45 rounds, and should maybe have 1-2 malfunctions due to their "tight tolerances." After calling their customer service, they said up to a 5% malfunction rate during the break-in period is within spec. Even after being at triple that, 2 weeks after initiating contact with their CS, I still have yet to even receive a shipping label to get it sent back in for eval.

I went to my 2 largest local gun stores, and they said my experience although not common, is what they've experienced before. They have great designs and can make good guns. There are just a fair number of lemons. Both stores have had to send back multiple guns. And their CS is known for being slow and unresponsive. And the turn-around time for service is on the order of weeks. From this information, it seems like even if they get the shipping label to me Monday, is that I'll probably get the gun back maybe in a month. 6 weeks+ turnaround time to fix a gun that I currently can't trust to carry or use in competition is bad. The lack of follow-through per their CS in conjunction with that is in my mind unacceptable. If another issue arises, I just don't have the confidence they'll take care of me and live up to what they promise on their website and social media.

If you google "reddit malfunction shadow systems" or "failure to feed" you'll see quite a few posts and threads with people having the same issues whether it's with their DR920s, MR920s, or even their newly released CR920. 

At this point, I'm just completely soured on the brand and the gun no longer brings me any joy. I just want to send it back for a refund and to wait for the Walther PDP SD Pro to come out. 

Really appreciate all the details. My MR920L has been dead-nuts reliable but hearing about a gun company with QC issues and slow CS is FAR from crazy. Looking at you, S&W. Hopefully you get it sorted and/or find a platform you prefer!

22 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

I've got a pair of Gen5 G34s the wife shoots when she started gaming with me. Typical mods over time - several different triggers to try and get the right one, silicone carbide grip job , tungsten guiderod / lighter recoil spring & striker spring, extractor.  She shot those exclusively for a while - then she wanted to start transitioning over to CO so I picked up a DR920 and a Zev 0z9. Timney triggers in both, guiderod & spring changes again , and some grip work -  but between the two I was really surprised at the felt recoil differences . The DR920 is a good bit snappier. The Zev feels much softer. I guess maybe a combination of the Zev frame system and the DR920 using the shorter g19 recoil system even in a full frame gun. She shoots the Glock platform more than me, but she much prefers the g34 and Zev over the DR. It really just collects dust at this point unless I shoot it. The SS seems to be a well made gun, and I've had no issues with it.  I agree with her on the recoil, but I'm one of those that I just kind of get used to whatever it is I shoot enough of.  But for her its a deal breaker.

It's interesting you say this. I'm new to Glocks but I noticed I preferred the recoil of my PSA Dagger over the MR920L but couldn't figure out why. I hadn't considered the recoil system vs. slide length configuration.

I just ran my SS at a match yesterday with zero issues (again). Probably the only thing I'm not a fan of is the sight configuration; we had some 4" steel at unreasonable distances and the front sight completely obscures it. I will probably change them for something else if I stick with this as my main gun.

22 hours ago, matteekay said:

Really appreciate all the details. My MR920L has been dead-nuts reliable but hearing about a gun company with QC issues and slow CS is FAR from crazy. Looking at you, S&W. Hopefully you get it sorted and/or find a platform you prefer!

It's interesting you say this. I'm new to Glocks but I noticed I preferred the recoil of my PSA Dagger over the MR920L but couldn't figure out why. I hadn't considered the recoil system vs. slide length configuration.

I just ran my SS at a match yesterday with zero issues (again). Probably the only thing I'm not a fan of is the sight configuration; we had some 4" steel at unreasonable distances and the front sight completely obscures it. I will probably change them for something else if I stick with this as my main gun.

Thanks man. Finally had to call again and got a return label. They also told me straight up they don't do refunds for any reason. Disappointing to say the least. I feel like there are so little protections in the gun industry if you get a lemon, given the distant relationship between manufacturer, dealer, FFL, etc. 

I hope I can at least sell it and recoup a fair amount. 

On 5/15/2022 at 1:15 PM, matteekay said:

yeah, I don't know if that's it or not. But the G34 with more barrel , slide and the heavy guide rod and the Zev with it's steel frame - seem about the same to me. But that DR is def a little snappy in comparison. Like I said, not a huge deal and I'd get used to it just fine - but I do notice the difference. The wife is smaller statured and doesn't have the best grip, and its very noticeable to her.

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

yeah, I don't know if that's it or not. But the G34 with more barrel , slide and the heavy guide rod and the Zev with it's steel frame - seem about the same to me. But that DR is def a little snappy in comparison. Like I said, not a huge deal and I'd get used to it just fine - but I do notice the difference. The wife is smaller statured and doesn't have the best grip, and its very noticeable to her.

Even an opinion is a data point! Thanks for sharing.

I'm waffling on continuing to shoot the Shadow Systems or switching over to the Gen 3 G19 longslide I built. Need to do some head-to-head testing.

10 hours ago, matteekay said:

Even an opinion is a data point! Thanks for sharing.

I'm waffling on continuing to shoot the Shadow Systems or switching over to the Gen 3 G19 longslide I built. Need to do some head-to-head testing.

As somoene extreeeeemely familiar with that particular problem - my best advice, and advice I wish I'd followed much earlier - pick one now and stick with it. I spent way too much time waffling between rigs and moving back and forth.

40 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

As somoene extreeeeemely familiar with that particular problem - my best advice, and advice I wish I'd followed much earlier - pick one now and stick with it. I spent way too much time waffling between rigs and moving back and forth.

100%.