Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee 120 TC & Titegroup

Baragasam

Can anyone share their experience with the Lee 120 TC mold on top of MP35/Titegroup powder?

My projectiles drop at 126gr~

Powder coated with Eastwood Henry Ford light blue 

Projectiles sized at .356

1.06"~ COAL

Mixed brass

4.1gr MP35

1144fps average out a 4.5" barrel

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Joe357 said:

I had NO sucess in my G19 with this bullet! I switched to the 95gr TL version of LEE 6 cav mold and it runs perfect with any fast burning powder N310, N320, Red Dot, D032. TL with liquid floor wax or ALOX.

I tried the 95gr 380 acp bullet, my bullet feeder didn't like it at all. The MBF typically likes longer bullets and I just tuned it to feed the 120 tc well. Saving some lead with the 95gr was a cool idea though. I also used that lube method you mentioned, made my reloading equipment extremely messy so I went back to powder coating and sizing with a lee push through sizer. 

5 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

If you are getting a 126 gr weight from this mold, your mix is very soft.

All versions that I have had required expanding the cavities to meet the 120 grain ipsc limit.

I've read on that too. I use range scrap which is probably why. 

4 hours ago, Service Desk said:

I cast the same bullet from bullet trap salvaged projectiles mixed with some linotype ….about a 90/10 mix. My best results have been with Universal and WSF. No leading issues and adequate accuracy…about 1.5” at 35 yards out of my 9mm Bianchi Open gun.

I've tried WST, accuracy was very poor. Titegroup still did the best for me and I get about the same group as you with an occasional flyer. I believe it's the powder coating consistency that hinders accuracy.

1 hour ago, jim vaughan said:

I only got good accuracy when using .357-.358 sizes

I size to .356, I tried .357 on the Lee 125gr 2R and was seldom having feeding reliability issues out certain pickier guns. I'll try to get my hands on a .357 sizer to try again on this TC projectile. Do you powder coat? What is your method? 

On 1/5/2022 at 2:44 AM, Baragasam said:

I've tried WST, accuracy was very poor. Titegroup still did the best for me and I get about the same group as you with an occasional flyer. I believe it's the powder coating consistency that hinders accuracy.

I found that WST was a tad fast, but WSF is a lot slower and much lower in pressure. The fired cases gauge in a Dillon gauge. Universal shot the best.

18 hours ago, Farmer said:

What are they dropping out of the mold at? You may not have to size them. 

Last I remember they dropped at .356 exact (I think) but after powder coating them they came out to around .358/around the neighborhood of .360 (I have to check on that)

3 hours ago, Service Desk said:

I found that WST was a tad fast, but WSF is a lot slower and much lower in pressure. The fired cases gauge in a Dillon gauge. Universal shot the best.

I haven't been able to get my hands on Universal powder yet. I have a bunch of titegroup powder left. I saved the WST big jug for 12G instead. Have you ever tried titegroup? 

2 hours ago, Service Desk said:

I lubesize in a Star and use a .356 die. It just kisses the driving bands of the projectile. For a while I coated them with Emralon 330 but the MEK is just a bit much in terms of toxicity.

Ugh, that's why I moved away from lubing bullets. Just way too messy and smokey. Gets my reloading press, magazines, ammo cases and hands all sticky. 

9 hours ago, Service Desk said:

Yep, but it seemed a bit better suited to jackets or plated bullets...I got leading when using conventional lubed lead bullets. WSF is really shaping up as my overall preference for 9mm.

I noticed the same with Tight Group in my 45 Colt and lubed bullets. I would just get the light tin foil leading but they shot great otherwise. The bases of recovered bullets had the typical sand blasted look and I figured that’s where the light leading came from. The face of the forcing cone and cylinder would get silver too. I stumbled onto WSF in the 9 by accident when loading up some for a friend.  I had it for my 20ga and had used it in my 45 acp and at the time was the only powder close to working in the 9 that I had. Threw some 124g LRN together for him and they functioned great while being very accurate. 

Edited by Farmer

@Farmer @Service Desk would you guys lean more towards WSF or Universal? Once I'm done with all my powder I would gladly switch over to those powders. I reload for 12G anyways so having a single powder would be beneficial in my opinion. I do agree that I also experience leading as well even with well powder coated projectiles. How much do you guys pay per lb for the Universal and WSF powders?

15 hours ago, Baragasam said:

@Farmer @Service Desk would you guys lean more towards WSF or Universal? Once I'm done with all my powder I would gladly switch over to those powders. I reload for 12G anyways so having a single powder would be beneficial in my opinion. I do agree that I also experience leading as well even with well powder coated projectiles. How much do you guys pay per lb for the Universal and WSF powders?

I guess we need to know what velocity range your looking at. If your in an upper range with the 9 ie, 1100, and more of a field load in the 12ga I would go with WSF. If your looking to just make minor and looking at a 1150-1200 1oz load in the 12ga I would actually go with Alliant E3. Universal would fit somewhere in between. Ramshot Competition would be another good choice depending on your specifications. The last batch of WSF I bought was a long time ago ($16.00/lb) so the price doesn’t reflect today’s climate. I just found an 8# jug of E3 for $199.00 to give you an Idea. 

Edited by Farmer
Punctuation

It would depend on the type of shooting you propose to do. For full power loads and to work with a broad range of bullet weights ….say from 115 to 147 I would use WSF. If it is mainly plinking loads or minor loads with 115 to 130..then Universal is a great choice. I think that @Farmer has covered the scattergun aspects. There are plenty of alternative to these two, but both will serve you well.