Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon caliber conversion

gunner40sw

so recently I have condensed my reloading presses and have sold both of my XL 650s. I still have one 550 now because I don't reload as much as I use to. one 650 was for 45 the other was  for 40 and the 550 for 9mm. So I have never had to do any changes to my machines. Now I have to load all three calibers on the 550 so my question is if my 550 is set up for 9mm and I want to load some 40 cal do I just have to change the shell plate and dies. It will still be small primers so would I have to change the powder funnel it is presently the small one the same with the powder bar. 

Assuming you have a toolhead for the 40 caliber dies and a secondary one for the 9mm dies.  Also assuming that each setup has a dedicated powder hopper with caliber appropriate powder funnel in the powder charging die.  

That way you can switch to 40 by only changing the shell plate and buttons.  

the switch to 45 is a bit more involved because of the large pistol primers.  

You might get away with just changing dies/tool head.

I process 40 and 9mm on the same press without changing anything. I then load 40 with a 38spl conversion on a 550 and they're just a little loose.

I'm sure you can load 40 and 9mm on the same shell plate, I'm just not sure if it's easier with the 9/38s shell plate or the 40 shell plate.  Try the 40 cases in your 9mm conversion, if they fit then all you need to buy is the powder funnel/expander.

• 2 weeks later...