Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 147gr BB RN?

leam

I've been loading Bayou FP 147s out to 1.169 for my P320. Moving to BB RN, and realizing that I don't understand the issues with OAL as long as things fit and don't stick outside my case gauge. What do I need to know to safely load Minor with a little margin for error (130 +/- PF)?

Thanks!

@leamI just switched platforms to a CZ, and had to relearn everything about finding the precise max OAL for my pistol!  Also, just started testing the BB FP in 147 and 125.

IMO, this is one of the best articles available that shows how to determine your gun's max OAL using the barrel!  This procedure worked perfectly for my Shadow 2 Orange and works for about any pistol!

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131

Hope this helps!

My bullet got stuck in the barrel, removing the case left the bullet in the barrel. I came up with a different process; load a dummy round to my longest OAL plan and see if the case still sits in the chamber where an empty case sat. That says the bullet isn't pushing against the rifling. Of course, per the drawing, SIGs have a bit of freebore. Load data from VV says I can be shorter, though, and still be safe-ish.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:39 PM, leam said:

My bullet got stuck in the barrel, removing the case left the bullet in the barrel. I came up with a different process; load a dummy round to my longest OAL plan and see if the case still sits in the chamber where an empty case sat. That says the bullet isn't pushing against the rifling. Of course, per the drawing, SIGs have a bit of freebore. Load data from VV says I can be shorter, though, and still be safe-ish.

Same thing, just a different procedure. Been doing the fired case measurement for longer than I can remember. Usually subtract .015 to be sure and check for accuracy. Like everything there’s a balance. Closer isn’t always better. Gotta remember that can raise psi as much as seating deeper. 

Edited by Farmer