Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expander Mandrel die vs FL sizing with neck bushing

1911jerry

Do you all see a significant benefit to using an expander mandrel die vs FL with a bushing?

I am about to start loading 6mm Dasher and was curious if this is an avenue to pursue for better accuracy. Plan on 600/Fclass type shooting.

Thanks

My dasher the process i use is i FL resize with expander ball out and then use the mandrel, my theory is let's say the neck is not the same thickness all the way around i would rather the inside of the neck be the same size than the outside i might be wasting my time adding the extra step but thats how I do it

On 11/5/2021 at 2:31 PM, chase214 said:

My dasher the process i use is i FL resize with expander ball out and then use the mandrel, my theory is let's say the neck is not the same thickness all the way around i would rather the inside of the neck be the same size than the outside i might be wasting my time adding the extra step but thats how I do it

Are you using a neck sizing die after you resize, and before you use the mandrel die, or do you neck with a bushing during the fl sizing die? Thanks

If you are close to the same neck wall thickness for the brass you are reloading, a bushing die would give you the best results.  It would be less likely to push the neck out  of alignment and thus allow for a better aligned bullet when fired.  FWIW, bushing dies are what competition bench rest rifle shooters use.  The only time when they would be using an expander mandrel is when they are turning case necks, which is virtually another topic.  Use a case run out fixture, with dial indicator, to test your results.

Michael