Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues w/ Shell Shock NAS3 Cases on Dillon XL750

d3ydx3

Looking for some advice from those of you that have figured out how to flare the NAS3 cases. 

Got my hands on some of the NAS3 cases to give them a try. I'm running into some challenges flaring the cases without them sticking on my XL750. I do have the S3 Dillon die set, which includes the Lee sizing die & the "improved" powder funnel for Dillon presses. I am lubing the cases generously with Dillon Case Lube and the sizing die seems to work OK. Spring pressure is set appropriately and I am getting minimum to zero separation between the two parts of the case when sizing.

When I start flaring with the powder drop, the case will stick on the powder funnel beyond any small amount of flare. The case mouth sizes to around to .373-374", and I can flare with no sticking up to .375-3755". I would like to flare to at least .377" and preferably .378" since I have some coated and jacketed .356" bullets that I use. 

Because of the sticking on the powder funnel, the two parts of the case separate way beyond the manufacturer & SAMMI specs for overall case length usually to around .760-765". 

I'm convinced at this point that NAS3 cases on a 5 station press are a NO GO because of the inability to use the dedicated spring loaded flaring die that S3 has for non-Dillon presses. All of the shooters that I've seen seem to have 1050/1100s or Mark 7's and use the dedicated flaring die. 

Also, I am using new cases, which I know do not have to be sized and flared. I did load up 100 last night without any sizing or flaring to test. Fortunately, the small amount of flare the cases come with new (around .375-376") allowed me to seat some JHPs for my open gun. I have not had a chance to shoot any yet, but I'm expecting the same problems when it comes time to reload them.

Maybe @SSGJohnV is out there somewhere. 🙂

Edited by pealandco

Quick update for everyone...

Looks like I might've solved my own issue. Decided to polish the powder funnel aggressively, which helped a bit. Still had some case sticking.

The big breakthrough was looking at the funnel and seeing that it is slightly wider at the bottom, thins, and then gets thicker again towards where the case would start belling. As an experiment I decided to add more flare... taking it up to .382-385. No case sticking! I'm assuming the thicker bottom of the funnel is to counteract the natural taper of the cases and by not flaring enough the thinnest part of the case was only riding against the powder funnel vs going through it. 

Latest update..

Still having some issues w/ the Shell Shock NAS3 & cases & S3 dies on my Dillon XL750. Most of the sticking when expanding has been eliminated w/ polishing the funnel and expanding deeper into the case. The latest problem is the sizing die, which has a spring in it to remove the case from the die vs having the shell plate pull the case and potentially separate the two parts of the case beyond SAAMI specs. The spring occasionally and unpredictably pops - popping the case against the shell plate in Station 1 causing powder to be thrown out of the case in Station 3. I'm loading for 9 major w/ AA7, so it is a lot of powder that spills onto the shell plate.

Spoke with another shooter that loads the NAS3 cases on a 650/750, and he had a similar issue. His fix was to size and expand on a separate toolhead to remove any potential for powder spillage (spillage being an understatement). 

Not sure what I'll do at this point. For 9 major there are a lot of advantages to the NAS3 cases. The problem is I don't think the dies are designed for the 650/750 and a shell plate with a spring. I may look at an RL1100 or a Mark 7 - not specifically for this issue, but a few other needs/wants & issues that I have with the 750.   

Hey, I'm loading the NAS 3 cases and had similar issues with cases straight out of the bag. But I dusted them with walnut media for 10 mins and that ended my issues. I'm hoping to use these for major rounds so we will see.

4 minutes ago, AcePrater said:

Hey, I'm loading the NAS 3 cases and had similar issues with cases straight out of the bag. But I dusted them with walnut media for 10 mins and that ended my issues. I'm hoping to use these for major rounds so we will see.

Tried the walnut as well. That and polishing the funnel helped with the sticking. Biggest problem that I still have is the popping of the sizing die causing powder to eject from station 3 on my 750. The consensus seems to be separating sizing and flaring into 2 separate toolhead but that is a PITA. May just end up going the 1100 or Apex10 route. 

OP - Not trying to be a smart a** so please do not take what I am about to say the wrong way please….

Any reason you could not set these cases to the side for future loading and go with standard US manufacture stamped non-crimped brass brass?  Seems like it would be the easier and most economical route rather than looking to replace your reloading machine….Just a suggestion to help you get some rounds made…..Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

• 1 year later...

I have been reloading Shellshock cases for a few months on a Hornady LNL.  I am using the dedicated S3 sizing and flaring dies. It is very important to adjust the CAP screws on both dies to get just the right amount of spring tension to push the cases out.  This took some trial and error.  I was initially using Hornady Case lube and found that it was much harder to resize fired NAS3 cases that regular brass.   I made my own lube form 99% ISO and Lanolin and now prelude the cases and let them dry overnight.  This has smoothed out the sizing stroke of the press.  

Where I am having issues with these cases when compared to heavier brass is in the case feeder hopper.  Brass cases are bottom heavy and drop and feed quickly from the hooper into the case feed tube.  These lighter cases which seem to be a little top heavy take a very long time to get positioned correctly in the hopper and drop.   They tend to pool around at the low end of the hopper and not drop into the openings in the hopper plate.  Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a solution?

• 1 month later...