Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Puller Questions

f-pig

I have a kinetic bullet puller, but was thinking of upgrading to a collet type that mounts in a single-stage press. It looks like they can be a lot faster, and I have a single stage press that I can leave it set up on. I have a couple questions:

1. Will it work on plated bullets like Rainier?

2. Will it work on moly-coated lead bullets?

3. Which one is better, RCBS or Hornady?

4. Do the collets accept a range of sizes? For instance, it looks like Hornady doesn't offer a 9mm collet, but they do have a .358 collet. Will it work?

Any help on these questions will be appreciated.

(The other bullet puller post seemed to have undergone serious thread drift.)

Edited by f-pig

I should have been more clear. I was thinking of upgrading to a collet type that mounts in a single stage press (I already have an impact type that does indeed have a small collet in it). I don't believe Dillon makes one. It looks like RCBS and Hornady both make them and that they would be faster than disassembling and reassembling the impact type for each bullet. The Hornady has the cam-actuation that looks like it may be faster, but if anyone has experience with both, I would like to know which they think is better.

Historically, the collets have worked better for pulling rifle bullets. Pistol bullets, due to the shape, commonly lack sufficient full diameter area accessable to the collet to grip. Rifle bullets tend to have more full diameter shank available to the collet than pistol bullets. The collet will likely at least mark, if not damage, lead bullets, including moly coated. Plated bullets would depend on the thickness of the plate. Much will depend on the bullet shape, and the grip the collet can obtain. A well crimped lead bullet may not be conducive to being pulled with a collet in any event.

I've not used the Hornady, but the cam sounds good, unless you have cammed all the way and still want to tighten a bit more. So, if the cam is a "ON - OFF" sort of arrangement, where once you have closed the collet you are done, I would likely look more at the RCBS to allow a greater adjustment range.

Overall, while I believe some sort of bullet puller should be available, I would hope you are not pulling enough bullets to warrant the (semi) permanent set-up you describe.

I expect the 0.358" collet can work with 9mm bullets, but it is working it more, meaning a secure grip on the smaller diameter bullet may be difficult. That may indicate my concerns on the cam range are unfounded.

Guy

Thanks Guy. That's good info. Maybe I'll stick with my impact puller for now, since I am usually pulling pistol bullets, either plated or moly-coated. The reason I can leave it set up in my 1-stage is because I don't use it much lately. I've been loading mainly pistol rounds on my Dillon 650. So to leave it set-up semi-permanently wouldn't be a problem.

Your comment about pulling too many bullets made me chuckle. Regretfully, I find that on the Dillon I am occassionally having to disassemble some bullets due to sideways or missing primers, usually just after making changes or caliber conversions. Once it's set-up and rolling, it does seem to work good.

Thanks for the great info.

I use the RCBS collet type puller and have pulled pistol bullets with it. It works OK, but not great. It does mark the bullet, but the marks have little or no effect on the bullet if you re-use the bullet. I have pulled plated bullets, but threw them away because they were junk to start with. They were badly deformed by the time I got them out.

Nolan