Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Innovations spill stops

Good morning group. I’m reloading on a 750 and using the Reloading Innovations spill stops at stations 3&4. Having a problem with the shell plate not fully indexing to the next station causing crushed primers. On the Reloading Innovations web site there is a note that I may need to adjust the indexing block for proper operation. My question how do I do this without opening a can of worms lol. 
  My machine is brand new, this was my first time loading on it. With the spill stops removed and the Dillion locating pins in place everything works flawlessly and that’s why I’m hesitant to make any adjustments to the machine itself. I’ve searched and other than the routine maintenance adjustments I’ve not seen anything mentioning adjustments for these spill stops. Am I the only one lol. 

I found that the shell plate has to have zero play.  Also the indexing block needs to be adjusted so it indexes the shell plate completely. If the ball detent pulls the shell plate a little further to index, the indexing block is not adjusted properly.  

I prefer the DAA PSP on my 650.

First question is do you really need the spill stop? 

The spill stop is probably retarding the shell plate rotation enough so that it is not completely indexing.

Adjusting the index block is not a big deal. I don't think you will be opening a can of worms.

A lot of these aftermarket "upgrades" are often not really necessary.

What is your load? Are you having issues with powder splashing?

1 hour ago, ddc said:

First question is do you really need the spill stop? 

The spill stop is probably retarding the shell plate rotation enough so that it is not completely indexing.

Adjusting the index block is not a big deal. I don't think you will be opening a can of worms.

A lot of these aftermarket "upgrades" are often not really necessary.

What is your load? Are you having issues with powder splashing?

Currently, no I really don’t need them. Eventually I will be doing 9 major so when I ordered the starlight kit from same company I figured go ahead and get them. 
 And yes I agree about these factory upgrades. My first machine was a 550 and I got suckered into the aftermarket doo-dads   Most are now in a box under the bench. Appreciate the reply. 

2 hours ago, conditionone said:

I found that the shell plate has to have zero play.  Also the indexing block needs to be adjusted so it indexes the shell plate completely. If the ball detent pulls the shell plate a little further to index, the indexing block is not adjusted properly.  

I prefer the DAA PSP on my 650.

Thanks for the advice. For now I’m going to leave the spill stops off until I get into 9 major loads. When that comes I’ll look into the DAA options, I’ve been happy with everything I’ve bought from them. 

15 minutes ago, Stevetford said:

Currently, no I really don’t need them. Eventually I will be doing 9 major so when I ordered the starlight kit from same company I figured go ahead and get them. 
 And yes I agree about these factory upgrades. My first machine was a 550 and I got suckered into the aftermarket doo-dads   Most are now in a box under the bench. Appreciate the reply. 

Gotcha. My 9mm load is minor PF so I'm so far down from the case mouth there are no problems. For 9mm major I know there can be issues in that area.