Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here's Mine

dubletap

Several years ago I was shooting a monthly Linea de Fuego match at Pala in San Diego. The range was just being built and the stage was in a very large unfinished bay full of dirt clods. The stage was set up so that you ran downrange in a zig zag, each zig or zag was about 15 yards. I was on the 2nd zig running full tilt when I realized my center of gravity was far forward of my feet. I knew I was going down, no two ways about it. I already had my safety on but I crammed my thumb up under it just to make sure there was no chance. It was in slow, sickening motion. I shoved the gun straight downrange and performed a perfect barrel roll. I expected the RO to stop me but I didn't break the 180 so I leapt to my feet and took off... for about two steps and fell flat on my face. I started to get up again and realized that I could see the last targets from right where I was, so I shot the last targets, unloaded, showed clear and holstered and turned around to the one and only time I have ever received applause for my shooting prowess.

Indeed, we have taped every match we have shot, with the exception of one we were not allowed to. Can you guess it. Yep, I go down with the gun. Keep it down range and right back up and finish. I would have liked to seen both of these on tape!!!

A complete barrel roll without breaking the 180. Man that would be cool...

Ira

• 2 weeks later...

I did a variation of this at the 2001 SWAT round-up in Orlando. The first event is the Hostage Rescue and it involves clearing a building, retrieving two 80 pound punching bags, and carrying them back to the finish line. I rounded the corner for the final 25 yards to the finish line and, like dubletap, felt my center of gravity going way too far forward. I tried to dive over the finish line, but fell about a yard short. I held the punching bag in a bear hug and rolled the rest of the way across.

This is one in on video, so if you or anyone you know has the highlight video for the 2001 SWAT round-up: that's me rolling across the finish line.