Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul sas II ur Shorty??

Practicalomaha

11 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

I am interested in the Bull sas II Shorty. Looking for any feedback from anyone who owns one and what they think about them. Thanks

shorty is better  for  shooting metals  with minor factor .

For a 9 manor setup, it will transition faster but beat your hands to death. For steel Challange and or shooting minor it would be awesome. I'm not exactly sure but I don't think they recomend 9 major in it either. Dont quote me though. 

I have a Shorty. Bought it maybe two months ago directly from Tomer at Bul Armory USA. The guns are absolutely built to run 9major (as well as 9minor). We don't reload so we use Atlanta Arms 147gr 9major 171pf. I'll give you my thoughts: I wanted a Shorty as my first choice for an Open gun but after an unsuccessful two month search (I did see a Bullesteros and a UR F/Heavy Metal available) and hearing that Bul was probably another six months from accepting orders, I bought an SVI Open gun. Even though I didn't want a regular-length open gun, I bought it so I could start shooting open. I love the SVI. It was the backup gun for a shooter who recently became Bul-sponsored (oddly enough). Shortly after I got the SVI, I received an email from Tomer saying he had a Shorty coming in. I purchased the Shorty and have been shooting it and even though I love the SVI, I like the Shorty better.

Here's why: 1) Shorty is "makes-a-difference" shorter and simply feels/points/swings etc better for me compared to an open with a longer (regular-length, 5") slide. 2) Shorty feels a little lighter (plastic grip) which maybe helps with "feels/points/swings" better from #1.

And I would respectfully disagree with Bakerjd about the "beat your hands to death." I say that because I own and shoot an SVI (with two complete factory uppers in 38sc and 9major) that is twice the cost of my Shorty and shoots incredibly--and the Shorty feels similar. 

*Shorty came with 1.25lb trigger that is fantastic. (SVI has 1lb)

*the Nikko Sterling 6moa red dot that comes on Shorty is exactly the same as RTS2 on my SVI, so much so that I'm wondering if the same manufacturer makes both.

*with Atlanta Arms Elite 147gr 9major, I am getting .80" groups from benchrest at 25yds. 

*gun came with two 170mm mags that have run flawless.

*gun came with new Bul optic mount and two different thumb-rests so I could mount and use the one that fit best for me 

*gun came with modular trigger (with shoe A) that can switch the shoe out easily. Shoes are $15 at Shooters Connection.

Now, there are some limitations to my opinion here. I shot about 10 rounds through a Czechmate, and two different custom build 2011s, and then only handled a Shorty when I was exploring buying an open gun. And, my only real open gun shooting has been the SVI and Shorty. I'm new to practical shooting (but have been range shooting a long time--my husband was a bullseye shooter) don't reload, and have very limited knowledge of open gun stuff. 

Edited by jt1207
added info about the modular trigger

@jt1207 interesting choice shooting AA 147 major. And I'm betting that's reason number one in why the shorty feels great using major ammo. With a 147gn bullet you are still within Saami specs for 9mm. And the comp isnt being used to the fullest extent. Not that it's a bad thing or a good thing. It is just a factor. Normally in open 9mm guns people use a 124 going around 1300FPS and that produces more gas which makes the comp work better. It also has a harsher recoil. I've never shot AA 147 9 major so I'm not sure how they feel. 

As for running a shorty open gun Bob at Brazos has a lot of experience with them going back to before they were really a thing, he kind of  built the first ones and was a major role in them becoming a viable option. He has some great reading on his website, brazos customs, about their history, why he likes them ect. They do transition faster, and are lighter. They are more complicated to build, and keep running well. Most people these days are not into the super light open guns and opt for a heavier mid length version. Usually a 5" slide cut back .400" and run a hybrid (ribbed, signt tracker ect) barrel with a 3 port comp. This gets you that middle ground of very light but safe slide, faster transition speed but still having 5" of rifling to help the 124gn bullet make major PF. 

But as with all things everyone is different and likes different things. What works for one may or may not work for another person. For me I need a heavy gun due to some arm injuries. Otherwise I'd never shoot major PF in anything. So I went with a heavy, HEAVY mid length open gun and heavy limited gun. 

As for BUL guns themself. I LOVE them. I own 4. Two 9mm 1911 trophy SAW's, a commander I've heavily modified for a CO IDPA gun, and a open gun I built out of a full size government model 2011 BUL. The two 1911s have been exceedingly successful for me in single stack. In fact I took one to locap nationals this year, and went from mid c class to mid b class with it. So if you are looking for a shorty the BUL is going to be in a good price point, be reliable, and do everything needed and then some.