Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Designing A Range For Ipsc & 3-gun

There is a neglected shooting range near me that is going to be renovated in the next year or so. The folks running it have access to a lot of money for the work, and want their end product to be well set up for as many shooting disciplines as possible, including IPSC/3-gun. I'm the closest thing to an IPSC guy in the area (I've been shooting it regularly for only about 6 months, and am the proud holder of a D classification :P ), so they asked me if I would come up with an idea of what a really good IPSC range would look like.

I've not done any match or stage designing, and the club I shoot with uses a pretty small area out in the woods as a rather makeshift range - so I don't really know what elements make a top-notch practical shooting range. If some of you more experienced folks could share some ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Some background on the area...the terrain is rather "badlands-like" - the hills form natural shooting lanes and berms, including one or two lanes several hundred yards deep. There is plenty of room for a half dozen or more separate lanes (I think it will be possible to have one set aside specifically for a shoot-house).

Thanks!

Edited by Ceol

I agree with Jeeper . . . my first post should have read "Three sided bays (the bigger the better) and lots of them."

You can do almost anything you want if a bay has 30 yards by 30 yards of usable space. For many ranges, even one of these may be a luxury, so we build what we can. The NRA has a manual for developing ranges. It costs about $50. If I recall correctly it recommends side berms of a minimum 10 ft in height and a back berm of 18 - 20 ft. The USPSA Club Program Manual recommends side berms of at least 8 - 10 ft. and a back berm of at least 12 - 15 ft. You can download this manual from the members area of the USPSA site.

Edited by davidball

25 yards x 50 yards deep makes a nice big IPSC pistol bay. But, you need high berms in order to shoot close targets from down low-- maybe put in a few small bays for classifiers and that sort of thing. 15x25 yards is a good size for 'medium' bays, and 10x15 works for small ones. I think irregular bays using the natural hills would be cool too.

IMO, all bays should be at least 25 yards wide, 40-50 is better on average. A couple of narrower ones can be useful, but not a lot. Depth is where most fall short all the time. 50 yards minimum depth and make some 75 - 100. For doing real 3gun, you would want at least two bays 50+ wide and real deep. At the minimum, one at 300 deep and one at 200 deep if you really wanna' do 3 gun right.

More bays at even longer distances if possible if you want rifle shooters to inhabit your range regularly. The two hunnert could be used as a reduced course High Power Rifle bay with the addition of a target pit and a berm to protect it so 3 gun wouldn't hurt the High Power hardware. If you can build a six hunnert' that would be perfect for full distance High Power and Metallic Silhouette competition.

All bay walls have to be thick and high enough to take full power rifle rounds and slugs in the side walls. Parking space near the stages is nice. Real toilets are a real luxury. AC power at the stages is handy.

Hey Thanks for the Shout out David, At the Double Tap Ranch we built 6 Bays ( out of 14) that are about 115-120 feet deep and about 45-65 feet wide, Deeper and Wider for 3 gun would be a plus and a variety is good. We have all sizes but the Minimum is 32 feet deep standing inside the side berm slope. So you can always have steel on any bay you want. We are in the Process of putting in a 150 yd rifle range and we use the Back of the Back Berms for three gun out to 250 yards. ( but this is a Very limited Public Range IE: only IPSC shooters are memebrs, so we can control who and where folks are on the range)

Real Wide bays that are about 20 yds deep is good for lateral stages and is something we are also going to put in, that we don't have right now (Bay count should be around 18 when done). We run the Lateral stages at an angle in the Larger Bays. The Double Tap Ranch was built just for Pistol, we have two other clubs in the area one that is a rifle club and one that is a shotgun club and the both looked down on pistol shooters. Any question please PM me. I ran the dozer on this project for over 200 hours

Robert

Edited by scorch

Actually, they're planning to put in a full 1000 yard area for the precision rifle folks. Plus a large parking area, lines to city water and sewer, a 250-person classroom building, and a fulltime on-site caretaker.

I'm sure there'll be power to the area, but I hadn't thought about extending it to the shooting bays - that would come in handy.

Robert, just read the article in the current Front Sight on Double Tap. Sounds like a very nice facility to have.

I think that most of us have had experiences with certain clubs that if you didn't shoot what they shot you were somehow less than. Too bad, because another shooter should be your friend by default.

Rick

Ceol,

Did you state what area you were from? I might have missed it.

Another thing to consider is the size of the berms. I have seen them built without much thought. Not enough footage is allotted to them. So, to get the height needed, they end up with a steep slope to them...which breaks down easy, especially when we are shooting into all the time.