Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable Primer Suppier

Just4FunLP

I just contacted my Area Director and the NRA with the following message. If we all did the same it would probably make a difference. 

In collaboration with the various shooting sports organizations, draft a letter to the various primer and powder manufacturers asking them if they want to be the one company that is determined to reliably support reloaders. Then ask them to state exactly what they will do differently in the future to make that happen. 

I believe most competitive shooters and hobbyists would be willing to pay a little more to be loyal to a supplier who is loyal to them. 

We pay you to represent us. Please make it happen, and then publish the results.

Thanks”

I'm pretty sure you grossly overestimate the size of the customer base in the shooting sports.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty positive that the vast majority of powder and primers produced is sold to manufacturers of new and remanufactured ammunition; and that the manufacturers could pretty easily survive without supplying the amateur reloading market..... 🙂

43 minutes ago, Nik Habicht said:

I'm pretty sure you grossly overestimate the size of the customer base in the shooting sports.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty positive that the vast majority of powder and primers produced is sold to manufacturers of new and remanufactured ammunition; and that the manufacturers could pretty easily survive without supplying the amateur reloading market..... 🙂

This, and a whole lot more hassle as well. When was the last time your average reloader bought a pallet of primers or powder (although I may attempt it in the future)? The consumer reloader is likely an afterthought which is why powder and primers are so hard to find.

First supply your own ammo, then supply some of the smaller manufacturers, and then to the consumer.

And honestly, there is nothing they can do to combat panic buying. They aren't going to invest a ton of money on machines that a few years from now will sit dormant until the next panic. As a reloader, remember this shortage and make sure you are prepared for the next one with a few years of supplies. People got complacent when times were good and supplies were plentiful and cheap.

You’re right. I’m 58 years old, and I have to honestly say that primers have been the hardest thing to buy in my entire life. Praise God for that! But it’s true. Just seems like they’d be interested in doing something about it. 

Edited by Just4FunLP

42 minutes ago, Just4FunLP said:

You’re right. I’m 58 years old, and I have to honestly say that primers have been the hardest thing to buy in my entire life. Praise God for that! But it’s true. Just seems like they’d be interested in doing something about it. 

I'm assuming they are running 24/7 to supply the demand. I did see some in stock notifications for Remington primers and ammo come across the screen a few days ago so I'm hoping they are back on line and starting to crank out stuff.

USPSA + IDPA shooters arent even a fraction of a percent of the total market of reloaders. The weekend hobby guys and reloaders probably make up 90% of the reloading market. 

Plus the hassle it would take and how much we would all bitch and moan about something like this. unfortunately it'll never happen.

19 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I'm assuming they are running 24/7 to supply the demand. I did see some in stock notifications for Remington primers and ammo come across the screen a few days ago so I'm hoping they are back on line and starting to crank out stuff.

Yeah, I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and purchased a thousand 223 remans from Freedom Munitions at 0.75/rnd. This caused Remington to become available at Midsouth for 0.65/rnd. Thank me....  a friend just sold me 1000 small rifle primers today for a mere $100, and he was doing me a favor...  seriously.  And on top of all this, I ordered all the very best equipment to add 223/5.56 capabilities to my 650. Since I have everything ready to go I decided check on my back ordered dies. That’s all I need. As I’m going through various screens on their customer service website it directed me to a page that says dies have a lead time of 48 freakin weeks. 48 WEEKS!!!  Granted, they do have a notice where you order the dies saying they’re “heavily back ordered”, but what isn’t back ordered these days, right? They need to have a big giant flashing red stop sign saying “If you order this equipment, your investment is going to collect dust for almost a year before you can use it”. Ug!!

What a fiasco.  Lol.