Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 In Uspsa Limited

cruiten

For the last year I have been shooting a Glock 34 in USPSA Production division, and I am having a great time right now as a "B" level shooter.

I don't want to get out of Production completely, but I was thinking about getting a Glock 35 so that I could start playing in Limited division from time to time. At this point in time I don't want to spend a bunch of cash for the new pistol, trigger job, sights, magazines, and dies for my XL650

I was reading the latest Front-Sight and saw that Julie Goloskie used her Glock 34 to win her Limited-10 National title as well as getting second at the World Shoot in Ecuador in Standard (Ladies). This started me thinking that I could use my Glock 34 to play in Limited by just adding some Grams Engineering basepads to my Glock 9mm hi-cap magazines in order to achieve approximately 23+1 capacity.

This would allow me to play in Limited, without the 10-round magazine restriction, but still focus on calling A's which is so important in Production.

Ultimately I do want to get another pistol so that I can shoot in Limited with major power factor, but I wanted to try it with my Glock 34 at minor power factor for a while. I realize that I will be at a disadvantage, but I think it could be fun...

I wanted to see if anyone who has done this before could share some of their experiences, or any feedback from anyone else.

Thanks,

Cor

Edited by cruiten

My better half just started doing this very thing at this past weekend's match. She has a 34, shooting 9mm Blazer ammo- brass magwell, tungsten guide rod, mag release, trigger job, etc. She has two Arredondo basepads, and two of the Dawsons. (Bought both to be able to compare). She still uses a kydex holster, and it doesn't really seem to slow her down. For her, its about the "FUN" quotient, and she says this is definitely more fun. I don't know that you can ever 'win' Limited division shooting minor, but give it a try.

Mike

Did that last season, shot four matches and got 4 classifiers in to get something....

Not as competitive as I wanted to be, learned a great deal, though. When I ran the same points if they were major I saw I was about 40 points down each match just from the major/minor scoring.

It was fun to shoot an array of standing steel on the move without worrying about a reload.

I shot my 34 for a couple of years in limited & had plenty of fun. I was doing ok, but I wanted to move on up. In other words, I'm not nearly accurate enough to live with minor scoring. It was nice in matches with lots of steel, though. I found the 23rd mags didn't have that big of an advantage over the 20s I have now with my 35. There is the rare occasion but overall, not much of an advantage. I did find that mag springs last a lot longer & of course ammo is lots cheaper. I'm glad I shot the 34 when I did but I'm happy now with the 35. I say try it, then if you decide you need to go to mpf, move up to the 35.