Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR mag fed shotgun recommendation

HappyCamper

I am looking for an AR style mag fed, hi cap, 12 gauge. My plan is to use it for hog hunting, mostly helicopter. #1 requirement is reliability. 

I know this may be like asking “what’s your favorite religion” but “what’s your recommendation for a solid AR style mag fed 12 guage?”

Thanks for any input. 

I have a VR80 that I use for competition and am very happy with it. I have it set up for lighter loads, 3 dram. 

They do have a 3" chamber but I have never fired any out of mine so can't say how they function. 

Might be be worth checking it out. 

Price range? Hard to beat one of Dissident Arms shorty Komp12  for what you want. I have a VR80 and although it is super reliable, would be kind of long and bulky for heli hunting. They run slugs to POA & buckshot with no problem.

gerritm

I went to their website and sent an email looking for recommendations.  They guns look really nice.  I have zero experience with the AK style and prefer AR ,but, maybe it's time for me to learn the AK. thanks for the help.  I'll research it further

If you like an AR type shotguns I shoot an MKA 1919 built by Tooth & Nail many years ago. Been totally reliable for many thousands of rounds. Looking at their website, not sure what they are building today, but worth contacting Josh or Matt. I know they have gotten into VR80's also. My MKA is shorter and more compact than our VR80, would probably be easier to use in a confined space. With right spring setup would shoot buckshot & slugs to POA. Can't go wrong with either company. 

gerritm

Thanks.  I sent them an email to get some info.  They do not list these on their website so I hope they are still in the biz of building them.

Did they actually manufacture it or did they do a build on an existing model?  Do you know what the orig manufacturer was?

Original was a Turkish Akdal MKA 1919 with a polymer lower. I have not changed to the aluminum lower. Not sure of all they did, but new trigger, safety, mag release, handguard, stock, They put it all together with polishing and reliability package at the time. Tuned the 10 & 5 round magazines that came with it. I bought an extra tuned 24 rounder. All have run perfect. Changed the mag springs every couple of years. The new Rock Island 19 round mags run in it as well and both the old style mags and new ones run in my MKA and my granddaughters VR80 for 3-gun competition. 

I have over the years broken a couple of minor parts and replaced a couple due to wear. Many many rounds thru it over the years. It is set up with light recoil spring to run light loads, mainly I run Win AA 1145/1200 for reliability, Shoots slugs POA. If you were going to run hot bird/buckshot or slugs would go with the heavier recoil spring. 

Their CS has been excellent.

gerritm

Got a flat dark earth VR80 that so far runs well with Herter's 1050 fps target loads, slugs, and buckshot. It's the one with the longer handguard. Only thing I've changed is the stock/grip to standard AR parts, and installed a mil spec buffer tube (requires an adapter plate from M3tacticaltech https://m3tacticaltech.com/products/vr80-mil-spec-adapter).