Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Black

rmcdave

I was wondering what type of sight black works best for everyone? I get the best results using the Gunsmoke calcium carbide lamp, but it can be kind of inconvenient to re-apply between stages. I have used the aerosol Birchwood-Casey product, but the result looks grey in comparison to the rich black that the Gunsmoke produces. Is there another aerosol sight black out there that works any better?

Thanks,

Dave

I like the Ray-Vin Super Smoker. It uses calcium carbide like the gunsmoke lamp but the way it's made allows you to smoke your sights frequently without the hassle of having to drop a rock and water in and trying to race the acetelene. It's about $30 at Ray-vin.com and worth every penny. Gives really nice black sights.

Here an additional question for you guys in the know...

Which site black would be best for a gun with night sites?

I ask this because I have a 1911 with trijicon night sites (came from the factory), and I had Dawson put on one of their fiber optic front sites. I didn't have them put on the rear site because I didn't want to spend the extra money. The way it is doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to put site black on it and then later have the ability to wash it off completely. Which brand would work the best for this application?