Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand Cannon

dajarrel

Last weekend at the Louisiana State match in Thibideux, LA, S&W had a demonstration area set up where you could shoot various handguns. I walked over and spyed the S&W 500 and decided to give it a ride. Jerry Miculek asked if I wanted the lighter load or the heavy one and I opted for the big-un. Jerry pointed out that the sights were a little low so after aiming higher a bit, I pulled the trigger. Damn. Jerry said, "It has a pretty good thump" Yeah, that was an understatement.

But I did hit the target.

about a 360 gr bullet pushed to 1600+ fps (Chrono dudes shot it TWICE) for a whopping 591 pf.

I have determined that it is good for hunting and making your wrist sore.

If I have the chance, I'll shoot it again :D

dj

The fellows I practice with had the chance to try one of the 5" versions. One of our guys happened to pick one up for a deal (forget how much, but next to new, plus holster and amm for MUCH less than the local shops).

We got to try it with both target and hunting loads- What a toy!

If only it was a little (OK, a LOT) cheaper to shoot, I would be forced to ask him if I could use it for a match... Imagining the RO's face will have to do for now though... "You're shooting with THAT?????" :o

The fellows I practice with had the chance to try one of the 5" versions. One of our guys happened to pick one up for a deal (forget how much, but next to new, plus holster and amm for MUCH less than the local shops).

We got to try it with both target and hunting loads- What a toy!

If only it was a little (OK, a LOT) cheaper to shoot, I would be forced to ask him if I could use it for a match... Imagining the RO's face will have to do for now though... "You're shooting with THAT?????" :o

Great IDPA Set up B)

I shot the 10" 500 S&W at Ladies Camp in 2004. Jerry and the S&W Rep both looked at me like I was crazy. It was great! It had a moderate push that was interesting.

This year, S&W brought the 5" version. It was much easier to shoot. Probably because it weighs so much less.

Liota