Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550, large primers spitting out

once a year I switch my 550 over to .45 acp. This problem is only happening with large primers. They seem to be spitting out the bottom of the primer tube at random intervals. It appears that the little white plastic thing that goes back and forth and supports the stack of primers is not going forward, although it works just fine with small primers. the more primers there are in the tube, the more often it happens, which makes sense because there is more weight pushing down on them. Any idea what things to check?

On the Dillon website there are a number of videos for the 550 that deal with various primer issues (and other issues as well).  Depending on how used your press is you might want to do one of the clean-n-lube processes and get her back into tip-top shape.  Good luck.

perhaps the bottom of the primer tube tip, I know I go through them every so often. The mouth of the tip opens up and does all kinds of weird things, fail to feed, jams, and spills. 

https://www.evergladesammo.com/reloading/machine-parts/550b-aps-large-flexible-orifice-14003.html

(you may have a spare in the kit that came with the press) 

Edited by Squirrel45
added info

On 2/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, Squirrel45 said:

perhaps the bottom of the primer tube tip, I know I go through them every so often. The mouth of the tip opens up and does all kinds of weird things, fail to feed, jams, and spills. 

https://www.evergladesammo.com/reloading/machine-parts/550b-aps-large-flexible-orifice-14003.html

(you may have a spare in the kit that came with the press) 

yeah, i switched out the tip. didn't seem to make a difference. I'll check out the videos that ben53 references. I probably won't load 45 again until next winter (unless I can't get any more SPP before then), but I'd like to get it straightened out. thanks for the thoughtful responses.