Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load data...147gr bullet in 7.62x51 (308)

MAC10

hi,

due to all the reloading component shortages i have had to buy some 147gr bthp`s ( these are not pulled but new ).

i`m sure most of you already know there is hardly any data for this bullet in manuals. what i have read is to just use 150gr

bullet data and work up. that would be fine if i lived in a warm climate where i could get my chrono out but is is way too cold.

i was hoping someone would already have a few safe pet loads using various powders or a site that had data for these bullets.

i would be using nato brass so the volume would be smaller than using com. brass. below are the powders i have available to use:

imr 3031

imr 4895 ( my fave for 168gr match Sierra bullet)

imr 4064

h-4895

benchmark

h-335

blc-2 ( normally a 5.56 powder for me )

& TAC

any help would be appreciated...thanks!

You should be safe using 150 gr bullet data to start with. Just start low and work up. I loaded some 147 fmj a while ago and that’s what I did. I’ll check to see what I came up with when I get back to the loading room.

thanks but as i said in my post "working up" requires me to get my chrono out and its way too cold to do that at this time.

i was looking for an exact recipe or two that i would not have to chrono.

btw, these would be used in an ar10 w/ 24in bull bbl.

• 8 months later...
21 hours ago, MAC10 said:

i`ll look at western. i do have their manual. but i have been using 150gr data with no problems.

thank you

Are they ppu fmj bullets or pulled ball ammo from american company?   Western seems too post data for military bullets.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 10:55 AM, MAC10 said:

thanks but as i said in my post "working up" requires me to get my chrono out and its way too cold to do that at this time.

i was looking for an exact recipe or two that i would not have to chrono.

btw, these would be used in an ar10 w/ 24in bull bbl.

Magna speed 3