Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Charge Boom!

mcb

mcb,

In thinking about what happened to you, I wonder if there could be an explanation other than a double charge.

I realize your gun is a revolver, but sometimes excessive pressure shows up in autos when the bullet is not held firmly enough by the case.

A bullet with a loose fit will sometimes get pushed deeper into the case when it hits the feed ramp. The loss of internal space in the casing can cause catastrophic pressure spikes.

This may be unlikely, but is there any chance you may have dropped the moonclip before you loaded it into the gun? If so you could be the victim of a faulty or mal-adjusted loading die.

Before you change powders check your loads to make sure that the bullet is secure.

You can do this by measuring the overall length, then press the nose of the bullet against a hard surface. Now re-measure.

If the bullet is now several thousanths shorter you may have a problem.

Tls

I think this scenario would be unlikely in a revolver. If the bullet was loose enough to be pushed back into the case it would "pull" forward under recoil in the revolver's chamber. This can be an issue in a heavy recoiling revolver with insufficient crimp. I could be wrong, just my $.02.

I had run all my ammo for that match through my chamber gauge and my reloads are stored in trays so I can check for consistent OAL. I also have a pretty tight crimp, trust me on that one I just pulled bullets on about 150 rounds and have about 250 more to go.

After attempting to weigh and sort my remaining reloads by weight hopping to identify squibs or doubles failed to produce any reliable results I decided to pull bullets on all the ammo I presently had just to be safe.

So far I have not found any squibs or doubles but I would not have felt good shooting that ammo after having two squibs and that unpleasant double charge. Starting fresh with a much renew attention to being focused on my reloading techniques will let me shoot worry free.

Thanks guys, does anyone have a good place to by one of the Ed Brown cylinder releases? Hopefully I will be posting pictures of my repaired 610 soon.

Thanks

mcb

XRe,

If you buy the newer locking linkage and return rod for your powder measure...

I did not know that, having never played with one of the newer presses. I don't have a 650 anymore, but.... I just installed my bright, shiny, new 550 before the weekend :) So, it's addressed on the new presses, but an older one is still going to have this exposure....

Well I think I am going to be a happy camper. I got my 610 back from Smith and Wesson today and they did not have to replace the cylinder. YAH!!! :D

They did replace the cylinder stop and stop spring and it appears they did some work on the end of the ejector rod and the detent the engages it. The cylinder is much easier to open than it was when I first got it.

The work order paper sent with the gun specifies the two part they changed but does not indicated any other work being done. I will probably call them tomorrow and to see if they did anything else. The gun does appear to have been test fired I sent it to them after a very thorough cleaning. This make me happy they test fired it and all is good to go.

To bad this past weekend was the last outdoor match, in the area, until next year. I guess I will have to go try some indoor stuff with it. A local range is doing PPC matches but they limited revolvers to 6 inch barrels, maybe if I ask real nice they let me give it a go for fun? None the less if it still shoot as good as it did before the accident I will be extremely please.

Smith and Wesson did the work fast too. They received the gun last Monday and I had it back this evening exactly a week later. Now that's customer service. And unless they send the bill separately it appears they did the work for free? Does this sound right? There might be a bill coming and even if there is I will pay it happily given how fast and well the work was done.

I give you guys one more update after a trip to the range to test it out one night this week. Thanks for all the replies guys.

mcb