Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Oil/substance

cybrosh

Hi people,

A friend told me about a very interesting gun oil/substance he read of. He can't seem to remember the bloody name, so instead of browsing the web for hours, trying to find clues, I've decided to turn to the forums' honorable and knowledable members :)

This substance appears to be 'attaching' itself(absorbed?)to the metal's molecules, at the molecular levels, creating a magnetic field between the frame-slide, that helps redcue wear.

Have you heard of such a beast?

Cheers!

Cy'

Here are three that claim to meet some of your specs...

Microlon Gun juice

Milcomm

Wilson Ultima-lube

All three of these claim the property of penetrating the metal and making a flim on it that even if it appears dry it is still lubricated.

(Never heard of the magnetic propertiesof a particular lubricant, and this part doesn't pass the common sense test...)

I know Some folks using mobile 1 and Pro long mixed. Pro long is supposed to attach at the molec. level. So far good results, I use slide glide light in the summer and Mobile 1 in the winter.

Edited by scorch

It's been over twenty years, but if my memory serves me well.

Microlon is one of the early, if not the first, products that used teflon powder in a carrier liquid and sold it as a "metal treatment". Microlon was mineral sprits along with some other chemicals and teflon powder. It was originally developed as WZ-127. There were other products like Lubri-Lon that used motor oil as the carrier. Micrlon's claim to fame was that it was the first (only?) approved by the FAA for use in aircraft. For some reason the FAA is picky about what you put in aircraft engines, must be they don't like them falling out of the sky. The founder/inventor was an avid shooter and developed a .17 caliber wildcat cartride which he called the 17 Williams.

The idea behind it is the mineral sprits, which is a solvent, cleans the pores of the metal and then the metal rubbing against metal forces microscopic particles of teflon into the pores and that reduces friction. They also had gear lube and grease with teflon powder mixed in.This is old information and they may have changed their formulation.

Dupont was not happy with all these "snake oil" companies playing off of their trademark and prevented them from stating that the microscopic particles were teflon.

Here is an article about use in guns.

http://www.microlon.com/testresults/applic...canGunsmith.pdf