Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Would Be A Good Holster To Start Off With?

XAFSP

I've been shooting USPSA since May, first match with a leather IWB, then found an old Uncle Mikes kydex OWB while packing up to move. Compared to the IWB, that cheap kydex seems like a race holster, and I'm normally faster than most from concealment when they are wearing a kydex rig open. Go with the Uncle Mikes, the time lost compared to a competition setup can easily be picked up with movement and accuracy. Move up to a competition rig when you have a better idea of what you would like in a holster.

For different pistols I have different holsters, depending on Division.

I use a Uncle Mikes for Production for one pistol, a Blade-Tech for another. The Uncle Mikes in fine. I think the Blade-Tech is made a little nicer but that's about it. And $20 vs $60, The UM is a great deal.

I think for the Glock 35, I had to add some small washers in between the spacers to get the clearance I wanted, it was a little tight. I know some people use heat guns to bend it out, I was too chicken.

I want it to hold firm, but not hang on the draw. But holding firm, gives me a little more confidence that it won't fall out the first time I pick up a mag.

Specifically, stay away from the Fobus for the Ruger P series pistols, the method of retention is HORRID, one almost pulls their belt off their waist trying to draw it. Like the above mentioned, Uncle Mikes is going to do you fine or Blade-Tech also.

You may want to consider looking into the future, if you are going to want to move into a Glock or XD, no sense burning $60 on something when $20 will do you, just to buy another holster down the road.

OK,

What besides USPSA shooting will you be doing with

the gun? Self-defense?

Is it going to be a range/competition gun only?

The reason that I ask is a lot of people, myself included,

find that a DA/SA is harder to compete with compared to

a Glock or DAO SIG or Beretta. I find that having the same

trigger pull EVERY time is very beneficial.

Just something to think about...

Nearly any Kydex holster will suit you well starting out & Uncle Mikes is an excellent holster for the money. BTW, I agree w/ the others to NOT use the Fobus - it is NOT Kydex & while it may be OK for other uses (have used them for CCW) its not very good for competition.

Don't be seduced by the race holster; I feel that they are less of an advantage all the time, even in Limited.

As a former Ruger P85 owner, I much prefer a CZ or a Glock. More accurate and reliable than the Ruger.