Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Mcmillan Stock For Mor?

Bear1142

I'm slowly starting to put together my MOR setup and I wanted some feedback on which model McMillan stock you guys prefer and why (A1-A5) I'll be using a Remington SA receiver and a 28" barrel (I know, it's pretty long.) I'd like whichever model I use to be compatible with the various detachable magazine setups. So..what say you?

Erik

Another vote for the AICS. The mags work 100%. That said, I do like the A3's and A5's with standard magazine boxes. The A3's make great long range hunting rifle stocks and the A5's with the wheel adjustable cheek piece are so comfortable for prone shooting. Not for MOR though unless you are willing to spend a lot of time getting the mags to work (or pay someone to do it).

I built a remmy 700 in the AICS and I love it, but that being said if I were to do it again I would go with the McMillan A5 and the Badger Ordnance bottom metal which utilizes the AICS mags. For me the A5 works better than the AICS. I can't compare the other Mc stocks but the A% offered better working romm and grip angle for my hand in almost all positions. Definitely choose the AICS mag system. HS precision sucks in comparison as well as the stock remmy detachable mags.

Paule which mags are you talking about taking work to get to run? My understanding is that the AICS mags and Badger Bottom metal are as Bullet proof as the AICS mags and AICS chassis?

Take care, Craig

Before the Badger system was announced I bought a set from HS Precision for an A4 stock. Never could get the mags to work 100% and from all the others I talked to, I didn't find anyone that had much better luck than I did. I sold the stock and mag system and put an A5 on that gun, which I like alot. Once the Badgers are readily available I plan to try one.

Scout454,

I'm trying to stay away from the AICS. I've already got a 28" barrel with a pretty stout contour, so everything else is going to be an exercise in reducing weight as much as possible. I do like the AICS system, but it's heavy and I don't think it is my best choice for this particular setup. I'm going to go with the Badger Ordnance mag setup, I was just trying to get a feel for which stock works the best. I'm leaning towards the A3, but I like to fully adjustable components of the A5.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

Bear,

I think you are misunderstanding what is being said about the Badger Bottom metal. There are basically two versions. Badger bottom metal which has a traditional floorplate type magazine or a version which accepts Accuracy Internation Chassis System DETACHABLE MAGAZINES. If you are looking for a MOR with the ability to utilize detachable mags this is the system you want. I have a full AICS sytem and yes it is heavy, but to be perfectly honest it is not much heavier than the same action in a McMillan with the Badger bottom metal. The big weight factor is your glass. For some great advice on the Badger and McMillan end of things try George at GA Precision

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Erik,

Craig's right. The A5 with the Badger bottom metal and the ACIS will weigh nearly the same thing. I suggested the ACIS because you can put it together your self - and we all know how you love to tinker! Weightwise, if you go with a USO for glass, you'll feel it. If you stay with a Lupi with a Premier LR reticle, you'll save some weight - and some money.

Mike

Edited by Scout454

Just got home and weighed my gun. It is a Rem 700 PSS with a 26" barrel mounted in an AICS chassis. I have a US Optics SN3 TPal and a harris bipod. Total weight was 13.8 lbs. For reference my buddies Rem 700 with a schneider barrel in a McMillan A5 and a regular USO SN3 weighs 13.4 lbs.

As I said before the AICS is a great way to go but after shooting the A5 I like the grip/bolt/trigger relationship a little better.

Good luck, Craig

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I did intend on using the Badger detachable magazine system. I'll take another look at the AICS but if everything turns out equal, I'm with Smokshwn, I like the ergomonics of the Mcmillans better.

I haven't decided on glass yet, but there is a short list. I'm still deciding which style of reticle I want to use. Once I figure that one out, then I'll start looking at the different scope companies.

Erik

An A5 stock with all the adjustable stuff on it is going to be heavy. All that adjustable stuff looks cool, but you usually only adjust it once and you are done. High power shooters need all that adjustable stuff ala-tubb2000.

I would get the General Purpose Hunting (my 6-284 wears one) or the Remington Varmint, add some Badger bottom metal and call it good.

I had an A2 and it was heavy. Real heavy. The A3 might be a good option.

When you order stocks from McMillian you can ask them to make them around a certain weight or just as heavy as you can or as light as you can.

For working a bolt fast, getting your thumb out of a thumbhole can slow you down. But if you are moving to the next target while working the bolt, thats not much of a factor. Its not like we are doing bill drills at 600 yards.

A heavy 28 inch tube on a MOR is going to be a touch long for MOR stuff. I chopped my Tubb off at 22, recontoured it to a #3, and added a brake.

Erik,

I am relatively new to all this MOR stuff but I will say that the Horus Vision reticle is the way to go. Not only is the reticle very functional but I think it helps you climb the learning curve much faster. Personally I have a US Optics SN3 and I love it. You can also get the S&B scopes or Leupolds with the H25 reticle as well.

On the weight issue, I took a class from a local sniper/MOR competitor and his opinion was that a little weight is not necessarily a bad thing. Most of the time a little weight will serve to stabilize you and the rifle in almost all positions. Now for a pure hunting rifle I understand the save weight motivation

Take care, Craig