Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A topic that's been on my mind a lot of late is wondering just how the skill level of the early IPSC Masters, from the dawn of the sport, mid-70s, would compare if they were getting classed compared to the Master/GM shooters of today. Without any evidence to back it up, my gut says high B/low A class. Anyone out there have any opinions, or facts to back them up? How about from the '60s, men like Jack Weaver and Eldon Carl?

Duane,

As I see it, you'd have to compare like to like.  It is unfair comparing an average-accuracy 1911 single stack with hardball (1977) with a .38 Super Open gun (2001).  And the holsters?  Yow.  Just going by time and score is not enough.  When I started in 1977, if you could do a par El Presidente on demand, you were a demi-god.

Now, I have "C" shooters in our club who moan about taking seven or eight seconds.

But how much of that time difference is the comped Super, race holster and tuned loads, and how much is skill?

Perhaps investigating the performances at the Single Stack Classic might prove fruitful.

A while ago Dillon's Blue press, and I think American Handgunner did an article where Rob Leatham and Argnt M-M (I'm not gonna try to spell it but you know who I mean) did some El Prez's with everything from their full race P-9's (at the time that was the cool gun) to out of the box Springfield 1911 .45's with nothing on them and I can't remember the exact times but the difference was less than 2 secs I think. No more than 2 for sure. I think their P-9 times were like 4.5 and box stock was 6.5 or something like that.

Pat

In an old American Handgunner, Cooper reported that Ross Seyfield had been given unlimited ammo and all day shooting EP's.

His best factored out at 158 (HFx50/3)

I think he was using a Sparks AT holster, worn behind the hip and shot an uncomped 45.

The only difference between his set up and a modern Standard div rig is .40 and easier reloads with the double stack.

For the record I went out and tried an EP , the first factored 158, the second 170.

I would regard that as an A grade score.

Of course Brians book hadn't been published then either!

P.D.

• 4 weeks later...

Travis,

It hasn't been published yet, but it's looking like, according to Robin Taylor, my article on Sandbagging/Grandbagging and my review of the Smith & Wesson 945 are both going to be published in the same issue a few months from now.