Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt

xjwalt666

I have some 158gr .358 berry's bullets that I wamt to load up in 38 short for steel plates for my 627 v-comp. I keep seeing people put up about using bayou 160's and was wondering if these would be good to use. I'm new to the caliber mainly only loaded 9mm and 40. I've found some load data to use with the powders I have on hand which are autocomp, titegroup, 231 and hs6. And I've read thru some posts on here but wanted to see if anyone had any good load knowledge for this bullet. Pretty sure they are plated not just coated lead.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm using 158gr Berry's plated right now. Can't speak to any of the powders you have, but my last chronoed recipe is 3.5gr of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.15", which makes about 130PF with Winchester small pistol primers out of my 5.5" Super GP100.

Note that a 1.15" OAL can yield slightly bulging cases. They chamber for me, but I've since backed out to 1.18" OAL to eliminate the problem.

I'm using 158gr Berry's plated right now. Can't speak to any of the powders you have, but my last chronoed recipe is 3.5gr of Bullseye and an OAL of 1.15", which makes about 130PF with Winchester small pistol primers out of my 5.5" Super GP100.

Note that a 1.15" OAL can yield slightly bulging cases. They chamber for me, but I've since backed out to 1.18" OAL to eliminate the problem.
Good to know. I may have some bullseye from a lit of stuff I just got.

Name: .38 Short Colt: 160gr Bayou RN: Titegroup 3.2gr: OAL 1.20
Notes: S&W 627
Shots: 11
Average: 774 ft/s
SD: 13 ft/s
Min: 753 ft/s
Max: 790 ft/s
Spread: 37 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 123
Power Factor Low: 120
Power Factor High: 126
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 66 F
Weight: 160.0 gr.
Bullet: Bayou 160gr
Powder: Titegroup 3.2gr
Case: Starline
Primer: Fed SPP
C.O.A.L.: 1.20

For me, anything under 1.2 oal bulges the case. In my 627 I use 3.2gr of Titegroup over a 160gr Bayou bullet.  My gun always chrono's slow.

Maybe start at 3gr ?
Thank you. I was following your post as well. Figured the bullets are close in weight so it would be similar load data.