Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new scale for pistol

Truckin_Thumper

Hey all, 

I am hunting recommendations for checking powder when loading for pistol. 
A beam scale may be over kill, but not opposed to that route. Bench space is a bit tight, so I was thinking a med sized digital I could stow when not using. 

Budget is about $150 or so and those $700 ones are out of the question. I dont do precision rifle...LOL 

I've been happily using the Frankford Arsenal DS750 for years. Less than $40 and takes up very little space.

eta: I think Brian used to sell it when he was a Dillon dealer too.

Edited by belus

I have had a Dillon D-terminator for 4 years and have not been overly satisfied.  When I first got it I ran it on batteries and could not get consistent readings.  Removed the powder charge and set it back on the scale to get .2 or .3 grain variation.  Thought it was interference from the Florescent lights, or air movement, Not level enough, or whatever.  Eliminated those one by one still had the problem.  Switched to 110 made all the other adjustments and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes before using and it seemed to work better.  
now just last week it started not returning to zero after weighing.  Then it Scared me because I checked weigh on the first 3-4 rounds and all was okay.  About 20 rounds into the session and I checked again and the scale said the charge was .5 grain heavy.  Checked same pan of powder again and got .3 light.  Dug out the 40 year old RCBS balance Beam and powder charge was right on.  
I guess I am too cheap to throw away a fancy Dillon scale but I am currently using a 10 year old battery operated $15 Frankfort arsenal pocket scale to check accuracy of the $150 scale. 

44 minutes ago, Rustygun said:

I have had a Dillon D-terminator for 4 years and have not been overly satisfied.  When I first got it I ran it on batteries and could not get consistent readings.  Removed the powder charge and set it back on the scale to get .2 or .3 grain variation.  Thought it was interference from the Florescent lights, or air movement, Not level enough, or whatever.  Eliminated those one by one still had the problem.  Switched to 110 made all the other adjustments and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes before using and it seemed to work better.  
now just last week it started not returning to zero after weighing.  Then it Scared me because I checked weigh on the first 3-4 rounds and all was okay.  About 20 rounds into the session and I checked again and the scale said the charge was .5 grain heavy.  Checked same pan of powder again and got .3 light.  Dug out the 40 year old RCBS balance Beam and powder charge was right on.  
I guess I am too cheap to throw away a fancy Dillon scale but I am currently using a 10 year old battery operated $15 Frankfort arsenal pocket scale to check accuracy of the $150 scale. 

My Dterminator has been solid for 10 years.🤔 Sounds like you have a bad unit.