Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAST way for Separating stainless chips from brass from cleaning

helocat

Got tied shaking a Franklin tumbler tub over a 5 gallon bucket.  I run two tumblers at a time and it just gets old and killing my back.  Looked for a better way.

Soybean shaker table.  Yup food processing gear, its stainless and ment to work hard.   Found this China made one on eBay, typical doz or so different sellers all selling the same thing.  Prices range from $400 used to $480 new shipped. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soybean-Corn-Screener-Deck-Sifter-Shaker-Screener-Machine-Vibration-Motor-110V/264257359655?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3D7e16644f294b4f6ebff2434f90f8b7f3%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D264408942560%26itm%3D264257359655%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Arrived quickly and set it up out on the ranch next to the barn outside.   Its about 36” long and 14” wide, so not too big to store and easy to pick up about 30lbs.  Set up quick and ran the first round of brass though it.   I am still playing with what the best set up is.  I am going to add some water sprayers drawing from a pump in the media recovery bin, this way it recycles the same water.    I ran the brass though 2 times takes not very long and so far is working great.  Also going to add some magnets to the dump shoot for the brass, to catch any stray stainless chips that work down the sides.  

The gate off the hopper is adjusted to knock the brass over so they vibrate down the table on their sides, dumping any stainless media.   I do not use pins, only stainless chips form Ammo Brass in FL.  The chips work flawless in this set up. 

https://www.ammobrass.com/product-page/stainless-steel-cleaning-media-chips-for-wet-tumblers

54EF9F9A-F468-4701-BD1E-3C3E968C6FFE.jpeg 25F0276E-5291-4605-936E-4E2105F4C4F5.jpeg

Edited by helocat

9 hours ago, mscott said:

That’s pretty wild. I just don’t use any media at all. Just soap and water For an hour and brass is more than clean enough.

That's how I clean my range pickups first, just soap and water.  I then fully process the brass deprime/undersize/roll form and it then goes back in the wash with chips/soap/citric acid for the final cleaning.     I just got tired of extracting the stainless chips manually. 

That thing looks awesome! If you have the space it looks like a great addition but after getting into reloading this past year I'm already looking at increasing my space and I don't have anything nearly that big. 

The one time I used pins I used that FA media spinning thing and it worked good enough but I don't use pins anymore.

Part of me wonders if that table could be modified to sort the brass, like a separate insert similar to the shell shorter tray system.

Make that hopper a little bigger and let it sort the brass.

2 hours ago, 18111811 said:

Very clever.  Do you still need to work some chips out of the finished brass?

No, I dump on a dry towel, use the towel to dump into food drier trays to dry.    Any chips stuck to the water on the case fall to the base of the drier, talking maybe 12 chips total each batch.  I have a 800GPH pump coming I am going to set up to have a hard blast of water spraying at the base of the hopper at the feed table.    With the pump recirculating the water from the catch basin it should help cut running each batch though 2x down to one time.     

3 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

That thing looks awesome! If you have the space it looks like a great addition but after getting into reloading this past year I'm already looking at increasing my space and I don't have anything nearly that big. 

The one time I used pins I used that FA media spinning thing and it worked good enough but I don't use pins anymore.

Part of me wonders if that table could be modified to sort the brass, like a separate insert similar to the shell shorter tray system.

Make that hopper a little bigger and let it sort the brass.

I actually looked at the "Feeder Bowls" used to sort hardware, they are what some of the large commercial loaders use to sort brass.  Bowls with internal feed ramps up the inside walls with openings to allow different sized brass to fall to the outside ramps that then off load the sizes.  But these are big $$.    However the concept of the shaker table with proper sized screens on it, ya I would think it would separate different calibers. 

Ordance-02.jpg.3fb553766a9553a2f7163d9f6420deb6.jpg

Edited by helocat
I can