Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Barrels For Glocks When Shooting Major Loads (poll)

Sean Gaines

I just got through reading a post about if an aftermarket barrel is worth spending the money on. I am curious to know how many people who shoot glocks in competition, actually use an aftermarket/factory barrels when loading thier rounds to the 165 major power factor. Personally I have seen both, but would like to hear from you glocksters, and your comments would be appreciated to make this poll a good one for new reloaders and new shooters who would like to have this information.

I personally use a KKM barrel and wouldn't use a factory barrel with reloads. Because of all the horror stories of the kabooms etc. Its better to be safe than sorry.What would be nice is for people who take this poll to write a brief note as to why you choose one or the other. I would hate for this poll to get washed, due to being an old post. 25 people taking this poll wouldn't represent a valid sample size. So comments, even if brief would be helpful. thanks

I've shot reloads with both after market barrels and with stock. I didn't think it matter untill last night at a local match when shooting factory ammo with a stock Glock, pop, pop, BOOM. Blew the magazine out and scared the *&^%$ out of me. Luckly no gun damage. Will be shooting with after market barrels from now on.

I shoot KKM barrels due to the fact that you are going to get better accuracy with a barrel that is fit to your slide. When I get my KKM barrels I order them a little large so they can be custom fit by my local Glock-smith. I am just starting to reload-better safe than sorry IMO.

Was the kB in .40S&W? That is the only caliber I have seen a kB in with factory ammo.

When I started reloading .40 for my Limited gun I was amazed at how badly the cases were bulged coming out of a Glock after only a single firing. Yikes.

The ammo was some old 9mm that my department used for training before we switched to .40's it was produced by B&K ammo. I don't think that they are still in business. I don't believe that it had anything to do with pressures, it just had a double charge.

Edited by Rmack

I have stayed with the stock barrels for the G35's. Why? Because they are there.

So far we have over 10K rounds thorugh several 35's with most of those making ~172PF. Our light loads are 155PF. Accuracy have proven to be decent and they have been reliable.

The biggest thing about accuracy with the Glock is getting used to the grip angle and the trigger.

As for reloading, we use what we get off the range. A fair amount of them are Glock shot. We gauge all our ammo before shooting and using the range brass we have a rejection rate of 3-5 per 100 rounds. The barrels in these Glocks seem to be doing OK. Early on we had thought about getting other barrels but after shooting it a bit that didn't seem necessary. I got the Glocks because they didn't cost an arm and a leg and they had big enough mags and it was a major caliber. Right now I can't see spending money on something that already seems to work well enough. If I wanted real super duper accuracy and was willing to pay for it I would have bought and SVI/STI.

It's a Glock, don't over complicate things. Learn to shoot it and win with it.

kkm because i shoot alot of coated/precision type bullets

you cant do that with a factory glock barrel

also my brass lasts long, long time.

my 9mm on the other hand, it still has the factory barrel in it...

I personaly only use KKM Barrels in my competition guns.

The ressons are tight lock up in the slide. button riffling that alows the use of lead bullets.

more support in 40 barrels and most important to me is full support in 9mm barrels with the gunsmith fit barrels that Kevin and I developed.

with a properly fitted barrel I have seen guns that consistantly shoot inside of an inch at 25 yards. the tightest fits wil give 1/2 inch groups

In my carry gun every thing is stock glock and it wil shoot on my best day 2 in ch groups with stock night sites and stock all day triger.

With a proper action job ,good sights and carful aim you can get bellow 2 inches into the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch range. so it realy depends on what level you want the gun to shoot and at what level you want to perform. that being said most barrels will out shoot most shooters on any given day. There realy is nothing wrong with the stock barrel for most guys getting in . My money would be spent on first a good set of sights second a triger job

and then stuff like magwells and a mag button before I spent money on a barrel .

Shoot often and alot

Johnnie