Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Cz/p9/tanfoglio Comp

olp73

Check out the Titanium comp that Angus Hobdell used to beat all the STI/SVs at the American Handgunner: www.ghostholster.com

It was machined (and gun built by) Ti comp guru & forum member Brian Hawley of Expiramental Machining. His machine work is outstanding.

The issue most often encountered when designing a comp for a Cz, Tanfoglio/EAA and to some degree the Glocks, is that you must be able to remove the comp ocassionally for cleaning. This of course will not let you use a good "comp-lock" adhesive to hold the comp from moving around, or to use a longer more effective comp, or to have more (smaller) efficient exit hole baffles. Many people are turned off when inspecting these guns and realizing these short-comings.

But there are ways to remedy these shortcomings, and in fact turn them around to your advantage, both increasing your accuracy, decreasing muzzle jump and achieving "power factor" easier.

I have been fabricating the "Radical Hyper-Jet Comp" which lends itself readily to the Cz, Tanfoglio and Glock style of barrel removal. Drop me an e-mail if this intrigues you or want more information. :);)

The issue most often encountered when designing a comp for a Cz, Tanfoglio/EAA and to some degree the Glocks, is that you must be able to remove the comp ocassionally for cleaning.

Could you tell me why I would have to remove the comp on the tangfoglio gun to clean it?

Not trying to be smart ass....I just don't know why....

This used to be true. The chamber of the barrel was too large to move out the front of the slide so it was removed to the rear. So if you had a comp at the end of the barrel then the comp had to be removed to get the barrel out.

I have a tanfoglio open gun (like Eric Grauffel's)... The comp is stuck on the barrel and I can remove the barrel through the front of the slide just like a SVI/STI.

To be sure with your gun just make sure that the barrel can be removed through the front of the slide before sticking a comp on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took me this long to reply to your inquiry.

As you may be aware we just had a nasty hurricane beat the heck out of us (Wilma) here in South Florida. I have had no access to a working computer untill today as there was/is no electric power or phone service (including cellular) in my area. :( Not having a fun time that's for sure. Finally got my laptop to a friends place who's just got phone service (dial-up) and electricity... :) Yeeeeha!!!!! Left my shop locked-up (along with my un-working computer) ...but soon enough I'll be back tweaking and filing and fitting things...

Anyway as described above by "Britin", if you have a similar "muzzle end" barrel removal set-up you wouldn't need to remove the compensator in order to remove the barrel from the slide. Otherwise, as in most Cz's, Tanfoglios/EAA's and Glocks the barrel is removed by pivoting from the rear, where an attached comp would create an impediment, unless it's removed first. Again, it is this "necessity" that makes it a hardship to apply "comp-lock" adhesive to the threads of the barrel/comp for a nice 'n tight "wobble free" without comp bullet hits. Or, for the use of longer more effective comps with smaller baffle holes.

And, yes I do make an easily removable barrel and comp system that is easily disassembled for cleaning and installation that works great in Cz's, Tanfoglio/EAA and especially in Glocks. It does not mandate the use of "comp lock" adhesive to hold in place, and it keeps "exit" holes to a minimum diameter for effective gas management. Maximum lenght of the comp is not an issue, and it can be "upgraded/updated" after installation without the need of a gunsmith. :D

I don't think/know about forum policies allowing much further "advertising" other than what has been mentioned already. I have received some inquiries from interested forum members , which I am addressing as I can, considering the limitations presently imposed on me by the recent hurricane disaster. Any, and all inquiries will be personally answered and specific details and pictures will be provided.

Thanks for the interest. Glad I can help.

Bah! I can clean my P9 just fine with the comp attached to the barrel, which can't be removed from the slide.

How true that statement is!!!!

There is no real need at all to remove the comp to clean the gun per se, as most recent history has shown that very little cleaning is really needed in a seasoned barrel, and the barrel/comp assembly can indeed be moved out of the way for a "good-enough" cleaning of the upper assembly.

My statements mostly will impact the usual "factory" offerings or other similarly styled barrel/comp assemblies such as those in the Cz Champion et-al which is what most customers have access to from "factory" manufacturers. There indeed is the possibility of you "sweet-talking" your favorite "smith" to create and install and outstanding high performance comp into your "non 1911 or alphabet gun", but most usual offerings as those listed above, were designed for easy removal and "loose" fitting, and not as efficient as a custom specifically built comp. When you have a nice, efficient "non removable comp" rigidly affixed to your barrel, performance is outstanding. (The real killer for these guns was the unavailability of high cap mags for quite a while.)

Unless you have a good relationship with your "smith" you will find they'd rather work on something more agreeable to them like a 1911 style system. The way I see it, there is room for these "oddball" guns too, which if set-up properly can be just as competitive. Unfortunately, not enough of a readily available support base exists for these guns, as is the case with 1911 based guns. So sad. :(

But if you want to use one of these guns and you have one, Why not? Go for it.

Bah! I can clean my P9 just fine with the comp attached to the barrel, which can't be removed from the slide.

I didn't have any problems w/ mine, either. Brake cleaner was the secret - and just making sure you lubed the crap out of it afterwards to make sure it made it back into the nooks and crannies.... Certainly, a removable system would be a little more trick, and a little easier, but isn't absolutely necessary....